Hey strangers, hows your server holding up?

Pardon my QQ

The mass exodus of the majority of the games population is saddening to say the least. Playing this game makes me miss CS soooo badly.

Ive now watched 3 guilds die to the attrition of Biowares bad decisions. Even 1 of the largest launch guilds with 2 capped guilds where I have my first smuggler collecting dust on Veela, last time I logged in there were 2 people in guild and 7 on Fleet. :*(

Even rerolled to Fatman Imp side, where there it at least the ability to get a group.

When Xfers come up is the guild planning on staying or moving to other grounds? Im curious as if there is room/need I wonder if yah may need a Tankasin. As there is no true world PvP(especially after they murdered Ilum) the type of server matters not, shoot Im about to be 40 on Fatman, one of the largest PvP servers and have not seen 1 PC toon, actually havent seen 1 since launch month lol.

I still love my PvP, but at least the design of this game allows a casual player to raid and run FPs without taking too much away from RL. (Granted I left WoW before the group finder)

I hope all is well in your lives, those that know me( I still see some familiar names :))

Hiya Oriah. Shien server is dead. Our Republic guild fell apart a while back, and our Empire guild is pretty much done too. No plans after server merges at this time. The game just died too fast and most people went back to WoW or are waiting for Guild Wars 2

Sad to hear, as this is the only SciFi genre available, I thought about going back to WoW but I so loathe levelling lol. May go read up on the Druid changes, though I may have to reroll a rogue as Im pretty spoiled with my Scoundrel and Assassin vanish :)

I just checked out the thief class, though it doesnt seem its a true stealth class? At least not being invisible until you decide to attack. Or at least from what Ive seen so far.

I dont know If I can pay for another fantast genre, Aion's stealth class kinda caught my eye but apparently is seriously gear dependant. And most of the PvP gear grind requires a lot of PvE.

Hi, ya, bioware austin (or should I say mythic) screwed the pooch and release the game at least 6 months too early. 1.3 is where the game should've been at launch. They released too many servers at launch, they should've just had a handful of servers and sharded people off - on shien even when at release seemed to have a max of only 300-400 people imperial side on at a time, which is sad considering swtor is classified as an mmo. and the pvp is horrid, and just getting worse all the time - healing nerfs, and time to kill being incredibly short. even before 1.2 it was bearable, but it was nothing but stun lock/ping-pong around the map until you were dead. They still have major bugs that were appearantly reported in beta but were never acknoledged and fixed. A poorly optimised engine. Load screens that can be measured in minutes, give me a break. really, the game is incredible amount of fun leveling, but they screwed up on the small stuff that keep people around, like sitting in chairs, chat bubbles, not having to travel for 15 min before going anywhere, a horribly random gathering/crafting system where only one profession is still remotely viable due to costs, a static environment. The legacy system, while a nice feature, has all the unlocks at incredibly unaffordable prices. Lack of communication on thier website, lack of a complete bug list, poor customer service, non-exsitant QA on thier patchs (seems to break more stuff than they fix). Really, a bunch of amateurs, but I guess that what happens when you put people from mythic who developed failhammer into developing a SWTOR mmo. And I can't stress it enough - Dailies as a time sink are a bad design - and the way swtor does it is very little cash for the effort.

I wonder if bioware even has a plan for transfering guilds when they plan to move people to active servers. Really, I have a hard time to justify $15 a month to pay what amounts to a beta test, and what they've announced for future patches I just shake my head. I would expect that when they do their next quarterly that their subs numbers will be below 500k (which is still good for an mmo, but to go from almost 3 million at launch to 500k is sad, and they're blaming casuals, where it was the hardcores who left first, and they are overtuning stuff and making things difficult for 'casuals' so of course they are leaving too). SWTOR is going to be a case study of what not to do for future MMO's. That being said, I'm just playing right now to finish the agent story line (it is epic so far) and may end up paying one more month to finish, but I don't forsee myself playing the game again after that (unless it goes to free to play and not pay to win, or they lower the cost to $5 a month).

Blizzard has it right for a gear grind MMO. I'll still play wow, although I'm on a bit of a break from it (even though I'm still paying the sub due to the annual pass). Diablo 3 is a lot of fun, can't wait for 1.03 to hit so inferno becomes fun (right now the gear/speccing is pretty much full tank, and act 4 geartif you are melee to complete act 2). Looking forward to GW2 - you can immediately pvp at max level with all your skills, etc. It's about skill, not the gear grind, so everyone is pretty much on an even playing field. If you want to grind gear for its appearance, the option is there. PVE is cooperative instead of competitive (i.e. no ninja's mobs or loot, someone helps you kill something, they get credit, even if you aren't in the same party) After playing the stress test, they have some way to go on engine optimisations, and some bug fixes to go (as well as adding some of the small but important stuff like chat bubbles, etc), but overall it feels more like an mmo than swtor ever did: There are people on the map! And the one thing I like - you don't have tons of abilities to hot fix and remember to use to play optimally, you are limited to 10 abilites, which is nice and forces you to think on how you build your character, and the elimination of the trinity is nice - no longer have to wait for a tank or a healer to log on to do anything, everyone is responsible for thier own life, but can help others if they want too.

Edited by Kailand

SWTOR was fun leveling, but once you hit max level it feels like a grind to get good gear or valor for pvp gear (not my thing).

In GW2, you can guest on other servers for free (E.G. play on another server that your friends are on), so you won't have to worry about low server populations. They are also making it so you can transfer to another server for gems (which cost either RL money or in game gold).

They just added chat bubbles for the next beta (which is the ONE thing I wanted them to add). It's awesome to have a company LISTEN to their players. I'm really excited for this MMO. Being free to play is great as well for those that want to stick with WoW or other MMO's and have this as a secondary option (which will likely become their primary once they play it).

the sad thing is, I was looking forward to SWTOR for several years... I was around for the betas of RIFT, saw it flop (not as bad as TOR, but still flop), and was hoping being backed up by BioWare it wouldn't be as bad of a bomb as RIFT.. The thing is, I can shrug off faults in games because working for the same industry I have a different view on what's really involved behind the scenes in making a game. In the case of a fully-voiced MMO developed by bioware, I thought they could pull it off quite well. They did, just.. most people (2,500,000 out of 3,000,000 apparently) who bought the game expected more... It's rather impossible to make a voiced game, none the less MMO, have end-game content that follows the same paradigm. The majority of the server population seemed to not really care about the voice-overs despite that being some untold sum of money was spent on that. I've seen budget breakdowns for games and I'd take an educated guess that twice the amount of time and money went into the voice acting and coding/level design to support those speach clips alone than anything else. I think we've all come to the conclusion that the end-game gear was not designed by anyone born beween 1970 and 1985 or whom have grown up watching the original star wars trilogy.

On the other hand, having seen two "AAA" (supposedly) hyped MMOs with million(s) dollar budgets not succeed, I have a sour taste in my mouth about GW2 as well. I haven't logged into any MMO in nearly a month because nothing I have installed seems to offer anything interesting. I used to consider myself an MMO addict but shockingly I think TOR might've actually started to break the addiction. The only MMO I've considered playing again is DDO, but that's mostly because my old guild is still around and are always welcoming me back even if it's for one night a month.I doubt I'll see you guys in GW2, but at the moment I don't know. If you guys ever check out DDO, let me know. My old guild is a good group of friends who simply enjoy the game. We all have a bunch of characters of probably close to every level (1-20, x5)...

Anyway, I digress.

the sad thing is, I was looking forward to SWTOR for several years... I was around for the betas of RIFT, saw it flop (not as bad as TOR, but still flop), and was hoping being backed up by BioWare it wouldn't be as bad of a bomb as RIFT..

100% agree with you here. I was in the same boat.

On the other hand, having seen two "AAA" (supposedly) hyped MMOs with million(s) dollar budgets not succeed, I have a sour taste in my mouth about GW2 as well. I haven't logged into any MMO in nearly a month because nothing I have installed seems to offer anything interesting. I used to consider myself an MMO addict but shockingly I think TOR might've actually started to break the addiction.

After playing a few of the GW2 beta's, I'm overall pretty excited still for the game, although with much lower expectations after SWTOR kind of ruined me. I don't think my addiction to MMOs has been broken yet, but SWTOR came very close to it. A few of us made some alts in WoW to mess around with. Guild name is Georg Sent Us. Yup, Georg sent us back to WoW.

Well I'm still here and I'd like to do more but it seems the Shien server is in the crosshairs to be transfered away into obscurity. So with that said, I'm not to sure how long I'd like to keep playing a game where missmanagement by the parent company ends up punishing the player.

So, being the transfers seem to be timed wonderfully I don't think I'll be in game for long.

Looks like they have opened up transfers off of Shien to 'The Ebon Hawk'. But bioware being bioware has a piss poor excuse of a method to transfer guilds - they must be disbanded and the guild bank stuff distributed among members, and then after transfering the guild leader puts in a ticket to have the guild bank slots restored on the destination server. seriously... did they even think things through. they should've just done mergers or complete transfers. I say we don't bother with transfers at this time, as most of us are through with the game except for the odd one of us finishing off that last class quest, etc..

From the server lists, it looks like 'The Ebon Hawk' is going to be the sole east coast RP-PVE server.

Edited by Kailand

Any news on if they are going to shut servers down soon? And if they shut it down will inactive accounts be automatically merged/moved to new server or deleted?

Typical bioware - no details at all. They should've really done merges or guild transfers that would take care of even inactive members, instead of this amaturistic hack that they've implemented for the process, as they haven't taken into account more casual players, etc. (but that has been the entire story of development for this game so I shouldn't be surprised). But the hardware is not an issue, I'm pretty sure that all the servers they are running on are virtual machines anyways, so that it's easier for them to scale up/down the demands on the servers, so they can just consilidate smaller servers on a single piece of hardware, or have a mega server over many physical servers.

Man that sucks. I'm glad I just transferred leadership to Ipos/Syban :p If he wants to move he needs to handle the guild bank. muahahah.

ya, I'm done with their bull crap.

And just a thought, if your account is still active I suggest you make the move now....or you might be screwed in the future or if you ever plan on coming back to the game

Transfered what I wanted to to Ebon Hawk as well. Good luck everyone, was a quasi-fun run while it lasted.

Were you going to bother to move the guild over as well? And if not, mind if I rob the hell out of the bank before I move my last two characters over? I got another 30 days left since I bought a 2 month card just before the freebie was given out...

By all means rob it beelinde. I was going to make trash characters and move stuff over but I don't know whats going to be happening in the next few months for me in game and for the guild.

That being said, is there a desire or want to recreate the guild at this time or would we all rather just take our respective steps away for now?

Once the transfers opened up, the server went from 'bleeding profusely' to 'mostly dead'. I think that fleet had 2 people in it... one of them being me.

If there was interest, we might want to put something on the new server for those who are interested... just in case in the unlikely event that people want to come back, there's a place for them.

But, on the other hand, it may be a good time to call it quits as well. If we do that, we probably should put a news post up on our website to that effect, then officially disband the guild. In that case, maybe we could just randomly send the stuff from our cargo hold out to the 'mains' of the guild members still on the server until it's empty. At least that way, some of it might get used someday.

Let me know what you decide. I will probably move my last two characters one way or the other soon.

Unless you have any desire to try to continue and lead the guild, it would be better to disband. I only have 64 days left on my account, and I'll just occasionally be playing alts for story lines. Unless a miracle happens, I won't continue after the 64 days are up