Thoughts on Ilum pvp

Martok

I'm with you, Uggy. I preferred the earlier arrangement, which emphasized small-group skirmishing. I know that one of the reasons Bioware changed it though was because they wanted to encourage larger battles and the current set-up does provide those more often than the focus on the nodes in the release version.

DAoC-Dark age of Camelot had the best PvP of any game, EVER!

There was three or four open world areas, all connected. Each area had a Keep that had to be controlled. If all the keeps were controlled, whatever faction was in control of them gained access to a special dungeon "raid" for a period of time.

THAT was some epic pvp there!

DAoC-Dark age of Camelot had the best PvP of any game, EVER!

There was three or four open world areas, all connected. Each area had a Keep that had to be controlled. If all the keeps were controlled, whatever faction was in control of them gained access to a special dungeon "raid" for a period of time.

THAT was some epic pvp there!

I couldn't agree with you more on DAoC PvP being the best I've ever experienced. WAR also had a unique system.

As far as Ilum is concerned, I think that there should be valor and/or armamanet rewards for gaining control of other points besides the center. What often occurs now is a large group standing around, waiting for 1-2 soloer's to cap the outside points (for the bonus valor) before engaging in the center.

From what I've seen (and I've only been on Ilum for a few weeks now), this leads to stalemates with both sides waiting for their side to cap all points instead of actually fighting. I feel like if there was incentive for control of other points there would instead be a moving "skirmish line" so to speak. A possible downside to this would be if one side vastly outnumbers the other then "camping" or "farming" of anothers base might happen where one side cant gather enough people to push forward. In this case, if one sides base is enemy controlled (lets say Empire are at the Republics base), republic players (if significantly outnumbered) could receive a buff (damage/healing increase for example) to help them push back the enemy until their numbers even out.

Epic PVP requires Epic participation, preparation or performance.....DAoC it took a LONG Time for a large force to make any success over 1 Capture Keep.....sometimes If I recall there were weeks when no side achieved total dominance and unlocked the special areas or switched them from ownership.

If Bioware wants to keep things within a weekly timeset though...the Epic part could be placed in the participation.

Require a site to be maintained as in holding it by players....ie Stronghold method (DAoC) or center flag area (Wow).....but throw in ...if there are less than X players the area loses influence to a neutral (then overun the area with native NPC level 55 Elites Mobs.

Add in the DAoC created siege items....in Star Wars this could be various....purchasable Squads of level 50 Mobs, Craftable offensive/defensive weaponry (Cannons, Turrets), purchaseable/craftable combination air bombardments where players have to pay some NPC as well as supply him with bombardment type (Bunkerbuster or personell affecting aoe)

Just some quick thoughts....

Thanks Uncle Reavus....

It is just I hear (teamspeak, ingame and post around) all about how crafting is at a limit....waiting for changes in upcoming patches "hopefully" to get useful again. Players seem to have maxed out thier character capable benefits....well there should always be another option (actually 4 minimum for crafters) in gaming.

1) Sell wares for profit (NPC or AUCTION)

2) Use wares for self (account characters)

3) Use wares for environment (personal, community, global) <==== This is a HUGE area for PvP options as well as Guild benefit etc...past guild halls, ship construction (see old Colin More Galaxie Space Expansion idea)

4) Use wares for wares (stockpile, skill gain, recycling)

Combining a Guild of gamers together thru faction support of a Large/Epic crafting that supports or enhances PVP activities will benefit in turn the Guild (and trickle down members).

One can argue that they would have to spend time working on mechanics, balancing etc....YUP...thats what they do now and can look back at the games before them and learn from to help speed up the learning curve.

The issue that has kept that UO engine running so long has been its customization and commitment to the crafting to support the PVP and Dungeoning....those that toil are those that are loyal.

PvP Only or Dungeon/Raider Only players that blast thru leveling and PvPing etc only will not last as long as the crafters due to the fact that there will ALWAYS be a shiny new biz bang zoom rockety flashy game thing on the horizon.....those that rocket always run out of fuel and crash n burn.

No game is perfect just like nothing in life is perfect....they are trying to build a world and an online life....not gonna be perfect but if it wants to survive the ever insatiable thirst of gamers now and future...it has to slow them down a bit, make them think, plan and motivate them to work together for a common goal. I always hope for the best in games, patches and expansions....and have been around doing this insanity long enough not to get crazed when its not exaclty what I like or perfect.....though I will shake my head and think....why the hell cant we get those programmers to listen to us (T.H.E. team thats been doing this since 1996....longer than half the age of some of the devs)

We are the perfect blend of experience in this genre...within our team are the experts across the platforms options of gameplay....we should be honestly in thier ears and definetly in some test group regularily as a complete team.