Weekend Beta

Martok

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the invite...

dont see any beta codes or upon login to account any means to login /download or enter game.

I can shed some light on this as I am in the same boat...

This was posted by a dev in the swtor forums.

To answer other queries: for those of you who have been emailed this afternoon, as the email says, you have been selected to test in an upcoming Beta Test Weekend (which this FAQ refers to). You will be invited - and be able to download the client - closer to the upcoming weekend.

In other words, there are two Testing Weekends currently on the calendar. This weekend (11th-13th of November) for which invites have already been sent. You can tell if you have an invite to this weekend by the fact that the email has those dates in it.

Everyone who is signed up to test is eligible for the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend, and notification on when you can download the game client will be sent closer to the weekend's start.

Well that was intense and an enjoyable experience.

A few things I noticed, we definitely need to coordinate our server, once you get leveled up to the 20's and beyond group quests become such common fodder that finding groups is a necessity.

Some other things I noticed unlike WoW, the critical class in groups is the tank. (in my humble opinion) With that being said, though I thoroughly enjoyed playing my Sith Inquisitor healer, I may if it's needed roll a tank to start with for the guild if no one else picks that roll up.

Once again, I have to stress we will need to coordinate our efforts in a start server so we can help each other out instead of spinning our wheels looking for groups for flashpoints and the like.

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a great time with the Weekend Beta. I know Rahgesh and I sure did!

I played a Bounty Hunter to level 8 before a terrible server crash and then tried a Jedi Consular. Yes...I'm ashamed...I moved to the Light Side simple because I didn't want too many spoilers. For those who don't know Jedi Consular == Sith Inquisitor.

In short, I totally agree with Uglutz, the Bounty Hunter starting area was AMAZING and tons of fun. The Jedi Consular was also a pretty interesting class, with tons of neat spells. I loved being able to throw giant rocks (and sometimes the odd droid) into my opponent's face.

As for roles, I specialized as a healer and tackled the first Light Side Flashpoint: The Esseles. It's certainly had a very different feel to it than WoW (mind you it's not end-game content, so it may still change a lot). The heals I had weren't very big and varied from slow casts to VERY slow casts. So I had very limited healing throughput, forcing other party members to be more careful. Once players got a hang of the encounters, healing wasn't all that necessary and I could switch to DPS.

Syban:

I would have liked to have coordinated with the servers. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware beforehand that there was going to be multiple. Some of the servers also filled up very quickly and seemed to be less stable (like the first one we picked Sword of Anjuta Pall). We'll try harder for next time.

As for playing a specific class or role "for the guild", I'd suggest that folks just play what they like. There are enough members in our guild that I don't think it'll be a problem and if it is we'll deal with it then (either by re-rolling or through recruitment). I think it's very important that everyone play the game the way they want to.

I believe there is a second (and perhaps) larger Beta weekend coming up. We'll try harder this time to get everyone situated on the same server. (I'm not sure how yet, but we'll figure something out).

I wasn't aware of the server issues or how many there would be either. I (naively) assumed that the game would be stable enough I could just "pop" on to your guys server and join up with you. I tried for a few hours to get into the Sword server but had honestly no luck at all. I could re-join the server I started in easy peasy, but it took me over two hours just to get a queue line for Sword. (That to me is more of a server side hardware issue than population issue, which was the primary reason to do this test in the first place.)

The only reason I brought this up, is if we have a better way to dissimulate information to guildies on which server to join in these limited periods, I would be more than happy that it be implemented is all. I was very excited to game with you guys, but the opportunity for that seemed muted.

And I have to agree with the play-styles and personal choices. Just an observation on my point was all.

To be honest even though I felt the "MMO fatigue" this weekend, the limited test left me feeling like a "junky".

Well, here is my 3 class impressions so far:

Sith Warrior- Ended up level 19. The story was OK... most of my options was to allow them to live or kill them. Kind of boring.... Abilities, well...also kind of boring. This class needs some serious help. I was a Juggernaut with all my talent points in DPS tree. My dps was crap and I also couldn't tank worth crap either. (spec'd points didn't really matter as I only had what...6 or 7 points to spend?) The forums were lit up with similar info about Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight low dps and bad tanking. My companion dished out more damage than I did.....

Bounty Hunter- Played to level 14. WOW. This was a BLAST to play. The story was also outstanding (I started skipping through stories so I wouldn't spoil it all). While I thought the SW was a fun class, I had no idea what I was missing until I played the Bounty Hunter. I love the conversation options also. The abilities that this class has made it much more fun than the SW. I was able to tear through mobs much more quickly than the SW and with less damage taken. This might have something to do with the companion, Mako, as she's a healer. I ended up going Mercenary (dps/heal) and put my points in the dps tree. I was able to solo some of the group quests (heroic). I could not even think about doing that on my sith warrior. I would like to test the powertech tree next testing weekend (the dps one).

Imperial Agent- played to level 7. Story was the best. I really liked whoever voiced this character also. I felt way overpowered. I could one shot most mobs when I was in cover. I never got to the companion part. Was a fun class to play.

Other observations- Inquisitors are very very powerful at low levels. Not sure if that will change as you level up or if they will get toned down some....but they are bad mofo's. Also very good healers!

Black Talon Flashpoint- I tried this flashpoint about 5 times on my sith warrior. It was a group with 2 sith warriors and 2 sith inquisitors. We let the captain live so we had to fight that nasty group in the hanger. We never got past them. They ate our face and HARD too. We had no heals..... I tried again with my Bounty Hunter. We had two bounty hunters, one sith warrior, and one agent. The agent did some healing this time. All I can say is how absolutely EPIC that flashpoint is. Talk about immersion. I did not feel like I was doing a raid or dungeon crawl in WoW at all. Well done Bioware!

I did get my ship with my Sith Warrior. The ship is great! I really enjoyed the look and "feel" of the sith ship. Made me feel like a dark lord of the sith. Sith warrior ship droid talks too much though...very annoying.

So, I need to do a bit more testing to determine what my final class will be. As Bioware has said, the class is not balanced great until level 50. That shows with the sith warrior for sure....they must ramp up later on. Well, about to catch a flight...so I'll catch up with you all later this week! Look forward to this weekends testing as well!

Syban- I had my bounty hunter on that same server.

Ugh I totally agree with the underpowered statement. I can't tell you how many times half way through an instance people would ask if I was healing or not...

As for the other classes, they felt underpowered as well. I get the point that the "end game" needs to be healthy for the longevity of the game itself, but it's the journey (as the class quests have shown us) that keep us going tell then. As a healer in those instances I felt as though I was one second behind in healing no matter how "on the ball" I was. I noticed that my shield ability was the key to actually healing successfully in those instances, which in my opinion is opposite of what I'm used too.

Overall, I'm very concerned that we're one month away from launch on this puppy. I'm sure there will be advancements in the game, but right now it feels (barring the storyline and voice acting) like an MMO I've played time and time again over five years ago.

Well, I noticed that the Jedi Guardian also felt underpowered when I played one, but even still, I'll likely end up going Sith Juggernaut and focus on tanking since I'm looking to do something different than what I usually play in most other MMOs. I rather enjoyed how crafting worked, but I didn't want to push beyond too far level wise since I didn't want to go much further into the game as to not spoil my first playthrough once I snagged the game. I'll likely give other classes a try in future betas if I get in, but I'll likely end up stopping early on as well.

Looks like SWTOR is ramping up for yet another huge BETA weekend. Curse.com is reporting that they have 175 000 keys to give away (holy crap!). Those of you that haven't had an invite yet might want to look into getting one of those.

Those of you that were in the previous BETA, if you're like me, you got an email from Bioware warning against applying for these give-away keys as they might jeopardize your inclusion into the next BETA test.

I just hope that if they are doing another BETA weekend, that it won't involve another client download...ouch!

I agree, or if it does involve a client download it'll just be patches for us... either way, I hope it worked out for me like it did last weekend, I had it off.

That being said, any way we can coordinate our online efforts a little tighter this next go around?

Sure Syban, what did you have in mind?

Without know what and how many servers will available it's hard picking one beforehand. First-come-first serve? In other words, the first person to create a character has the responsibility of creating a forum post stating which server everyone must go to? Or, do I shoulder the responsibility and have everyone wait for a post from me?

I would suggest either the first person on makes a post *and if multiple people are on early they coordinate in TS and then make a post* or we agree to use a common sorting criteria.

i played a smuggler and a BH and i gotta say like the IA, the smuggler seemed OP. i could kill things very easily and took little damage in return. unlike the BH who had trouble in groups of more than 3. the BH had a lame aoe, i only got him to 6 so maybe they get better. but the smuggler was awesome from the start. i ran esseles and it was really fun, very very long but fun none the less.

i'm def leaning towards the BH as my starter but if the IA is a mirror to smuggler, i think i'd roll that first.

also, is it me or are there 300 skills we learn?? i have no idea what the hell kind of rotation to be doing with all the skills we get. am i right in assuming it's allowing ANY char (like smuggler) use almost all the skills that any other smuggler can have?

like to put it in wow speak. is this game allowing a BM hunter to spec BM but still use some skills that an MM and a SURVIVAL hunter get? seems like they throw every single skill at you very early on.

the combat needs work and some tweaking to the UI. but i know once release happens there will be people making mods real fast to address the lacking UI (dps/threat meters, healbots, more action bars, ect.)

Yeah a majority of your abilities are baseline abilities then when you pick your AC at 10 you unlock AC specific abilities. It confused me a lot when I tested the game in october because I had a whole bunch of abilities and didn't know what to do until I started going through themand putting the ones that I would need to use for tanking and what not on my jedi consular-shadow. I like the way they did that because it gives you options on what abilities you want to use and adds a level of customization. Like for my Jedi Consular Shadow tank I could start out a fight in stealth to eliminate a healer type npc with my back stab ability then tank out the rest of the group.

So for the next weekend BETA we'll coordinate as follows...

For those interested in starting at the precise server opening time (assuming 6pm EST), please join us on TS at:

clanskullcrusher.guildts.com:4242

Password: wobbly

***Yes the above server is dedicated to Clan Skullcrusher on WoW. Until we can get something figured out, I'm assuming our use of it over a weekend period should be acceptable.

We can collectively decide which server to log onto. By preference I would suggest an RP (or alternatively PvE) Eastern Time server that isn't the first one in a sorted list. Once a server has been determined we'll make a post on these forums to inform others.

Sound good?

Thank you for posting the TS info Calendar, I'm really stoked to game with everyone. It seems via The Old Republic's twitter account that if you opted-in for Beta testing you'll be invited this next go around so if anyone didn't make it in last time by all indications you'll get an invite this next go around.

See everyone there!

Any indication WHEN that next weekend will be?

They haven't said anything but I would guess the first week of December. The second week is possible but it doesn't give them much time for fixing any server issues revealed before the start of early access. Turkey day is also possible. Not a time I'd be happy about were I in their shoes but with a major MMO this close to launch they've presumably already told their families that they love them but won't see them until the new year has been rung in