Hunter Challenge Accepted!

Skywatcher

...and completed.

So, I was really looking for the new hunter challenge put, Skarr and ran across this guy instead. He used to be Kirix. The challenge for him was his buff Toxic Presence, which deals a metric crapton of nature damge to everyone near him and was enough to kill me in 4 or 5 seconds. I and 2 other hunters (a Nelf and another Tauren) tried in turn to tame the guy. The Nelf left after a few deaths, so it was just two of us trying and dying a lot. Finally, I did it right. Barely. Shot him for aggro, disengaged, waited for his knockback/attack 'n hit Deterrence and tame. I died just as the tame ended, but it looked like he despawned. That's usually an indicator of a successful tame. Running back, I had to wait out a 2 minute rez timer before I could come back to life and verify that, yep, I had me a new green spider:

kirix.jpg

151 gold in repairs after all that. I was at 4 durability from the deaths. He's not my first choice in the new challenge tame spiders, that'd be Deth'ilac, who is a royal pain in the tail.

This one still looks toxic to me, son, but congratulations! Just be careful that it doesn't poison the inhabitants of Orgrimmar and get you banned from the city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And two more of the challenge tames down.

I was doing the Molten Front dailies when my scanner went off. Anthriss was up! Anthriss is another of the 'molten' spiders and looks like Kirix, only yellow instead of green. Anthriss' big trick is Searing Webs which deal a ton of damage to you. To defeat 'em, you have to be all un-raider-like and intentionally jump into lava. It has to be deep enough for you to swim in. That'll burn the webs off of you.

Anyway, I saw another hunter trying to just tame as he would a 'normal' beast. He died a couple times. Then a paladin came in and tried to kill Anthriss. He didn't last long either. So I concussive shotted the spider, stood...er..swam in the fire, and tamed 'im. I didn't really want another spider, but hey, it was a challenge.

On a whim, I decided to do the set of dailies on Fireplume Ridge instead of at the Spire. After finishing the underground bit, I was heading around to pick up the last few when I saw a red dot on tracking. I moused over and saw it was Skarr. Now we've got a number of hunters on AD who enjoy taming the new rares, naming 'em the same as the 'wild' npc, then parking 'em out on the spawn points. I targeted the beast and lo and behold, it was the real Skarr. It's the first time I've seen him in the wild.

After doing my Super Mario rock hopping and dodging an elemental, I got to where Skarr was sitting peacefully on his floating rock. There were 3 other hunters already there. They either didn't know how to do this challenge or were just getting the timing wrong. Skarr has a rather nasty ability caled Fieroclast Barrage which shoots out fireballs to anyone in range and do huge damage. I got hit with it a few times while others tried to tame him and it knocked me down to about 16k health. The most popular way to deal with it is to go MM spec and use Silencing Shot when he's about halfway through the cast.

Since I had no stable slots free and wasn't really interested in Anthriss, who I'd just tamed, I let him go to free up a slot. I changed to MM spec and screwed up my first tame. I hit the wrong shot first and had to run out and feign to survive. The second time, I silenced him too soon and had to run out and feign. A couple other hunters tried again and failed. I went in for my third go, hit tame to get him to start casting, nearly waited too long before silencing him, hit tame again and before I knew it, I had yet another cat pet. I'll admit, it felt kinda good having the two Alliance hunters there cheer at me.

Yeah, I know, more rambling about pets. I'm just happy to have gotten Skarr. Now I need a name for him. I'll try to upload some pics of Skarr and Anthriss tomorrow.

Here are the pictures of the two recent tames. First up is Anthriss, who was my faithful companion for all of maybe 10 minutes:

anthriss.jpg

Next is Skarr, who is the pet I'd been hoping to find. I really do like this model of cat and he's the only one that's tameable:

skarr.jpg

Right now, Skarr currently has the default name 'Cat.' I'm open to suggestions for a more proper name for him.