Beta guild info and other "new to beta" tips

Waldonnis

For those who opted in and were lucky enough to be selected for beta, we do have a guild on Lost Isles named "The Misfits". I carried the name over from a raid bank/silly alt guild that Maube and I have on AD, in case you're curious :lostit: Everyone can invite to the guild, so just /who and whisper any of us. Also, please join the "MisfitsAD" channel, just in case you lose guild chat for some reason (it happens) or miss one of us when you log in on your characters. We still can't see anything with /chatinfo, but at least you can see who logs in that way. I'm often on an alt rather than Verissi (GM), so it's easier to coordinate through the chat channel than trying to wait for me to swap over randomly.

The guild bank is currently bugged, so I can't enable it for more than a few minutes at a time, but I'll work on that when those bugs are fixed. Additionally, many other guild features aren't quite working, so you may not have access to things like the ginvite ability or officer chat (which we never use) until I can get promotions to stick. There's also a new guild UI that does not open when you hit O. To open it, click the Social button in the minibar to the right of your main action bar. It's quite nice, so play around with it. If you run across any information that should be added to the guild info or just want to change the message of the day, go for it. Those permissions should work for officers, so don't be shy.

Here's some tips, after doing this a few times before. I'll add more as I think of them and keep the guild info above current as things get fixed.

General tips before copying your characters over:

• Gold generally means nothing on beta servers, but it does come in handy for conveniences and due to bugs (you'll respec A LOT and probably buy mounts and crap for your new alts). To help with this, try to combine all of your alts' money on live on the character you're going to copy before you copy them. Give it time to "settle" too, waiting a few hours at the very least before copying. I usually do this while the client is downloading after my invite.
    If you think you might want any crafting materials or enchants, the same thing is applicable - move them all over to whichever character you will be copying.
  • Emblem exchanging does not work on the beta servers (and didn't in alpha either, so it's unlikely to change). If you think you might want heirlooms, pick them up on your live character, then copy that character over with them.
  • Premades are available for copy. They come with 5k gold and jewelcrafting/enchanting as professions, as well as a ton of mats for each. Unless you have some real need to actually play a premade, they're great disposable copies when you need more cash or Wrath-level crafting materials.

Other tips:

• Glyph vendors are located in Dalaran at the Inscription shop. You can only buy glyphs for your class and must see the class-specific vendor to do so. Battered Hilts are also on there (and free), but it's not worth doing unless you're interested in the quest chain itself (far better weapons in the new zones).
  • Please read and use the forums (and the proper forums) if you run across a bug or have a suggestion. In the past few builds, the in-game feedback UI hasn't worked, and there is a ton of valuable info on the forums anyway. Don't be shy, this isn't the live forums.
  • The NDA was lifted when alpha ended, so feel free to talk about what you see with your friends or post screenshots/whatever. Talking about datamined info on the beta forums is frowned upon, though, so pretend MMO-Champ doesn't exist when commenting there.
  • Patience! You'll run across some show-stopper bugs from time to time. Talents not working, skills disappearing, inability to buy mounts or training, etc. Just be patient and wait for a fix...or roll one of the new class combos or races to mess around in the meantime. There's a LOT of new content in Azeroth to test at all levels anyway (and it rocks).
  • Addons are currently disabled and have been for some time. The /run command has as well, so you'll have to deal with the default interface and for folks like me, handle life without some of the more convenient macros. It's a good thing, though, since a lot of the default UI is being redesigned.

New graphics features and how to use them:

The video options pane was recently redesigned and has a few new things added to it. Check it over slowly and definitely try the various settings out. Note that some of the options are "iffy" as to whether or not they're working properly right now (works for me, but the forums tell a different tale). If you have issues with a setting that's really screwing your graphics up, but the video options don't work to help fix it, let me know and I can pass along the console command to do the same thing.

There are a few new things being added to the builds here and there that are worth playing with, though. Some of them are "tech tests" to help Blizzard figure out viability/maturity of potential features for release. Others are a bit more definite, though. Here are a few notable new features that may not be in the video settings that you can try out, along with how to enable/disable them (all new features taken from this thread, but not including all of them here since some are still a bit mysterious or VERY quirky; there are also a few more not listed in the thread, but they're even more unknown/buggy):

• DirectX 11 support (really shader models 4 and 5 support, for DX10/11 cards/drivers):
    • Description:
      • This is a Windows-only feature and only worth trying if you have a DX10 or DX11-capable card/driver set. Folks on older cards can try it, but it may not do much (if anything) for you. I've seen some areas where this increases my framerate and others where it decreases it. YMMV.

[*]Known issues:

• Multisampling values > 1 will cause very frequent crashes in the game client, so keep multisampling at 1 for the time being to be safe.
      • Some map chunk and graphical bugs seem to crop up from time to time with this enabled. If it's excessive or you run into frequent trouble, best to disable DX11 support until it's a bit more mature and the graphical issues get worked out. I'm a "dare to try" person, but not everyone is.

[*]Enabling DX11 support (type in the chat window, then quit/restart the client):

/console gxapi d3d11

[*]Disabling DX11 support (type in the chat window, then quit/restart the client; returns the setting to default):

/console gxapi d3d9

[*]Monitor selection (NOTE: Build 12803 added this to the video options):

• Description:
      • For those of us with multiple monitors, you can set which monitor you wish WoW to run in now (thank goodness!). I haven't tried it yet, but this will come in handy for people who frequently have several installs running at once (for me, it's PTR and live most often). It's also nice for anyone who has two monitors, but their "default" is the smaller one.

[*]Known issues:

• None

[*]Enabling (type in the chat window, then quit/restart the client):

/console gxmonitor X (where X is the monitor number that you wish to start the client on)

[*]Disabling:

Not totally sure since I haven't tried it yet, but deleting the appropriate line (containing gxMonitor) from the Config.wtf file should work. Be sure to close the client before editing this file.

[*]Water reflection "detail levels":

• Description:
      • This controls what types of things are reflected on the surface of bodies of water. After turning this on, I have never disabled it...it's very nice and adds some realism to the scenery when water and terrain are present. This does impact performance, though, so start with a lower value and work your way up if you want to see the differences and check the performance on your machine.

[*]Known issues:

• This only works with the new water effects enabled in the video options (to my knowledge)
      • Aside from the performance hit (which varies), the only issue I've found is related to how WoW's graphics engine constructs scenery and determines the PoV for object occlusion/clipping. If you have shadows enabled on the live client and have noticed that things outside of a building are casting shadows inside of the building you're standing in, it's the same basic thing. Small price to pay, but it can be freaky at times.

[*]Setting values:

• 0 = Standard/no reflections
      • 1 = Reflect the skybox (sky)
      • 2 = Reflect the skybox, terrain, and world objects (like buildings, but not necessarily things like trees)

[*]Enabling/altering the settings (type in the chat window; unsure if a client restart is needed, but if you don't see a change immediately, restart the client):

/console reflectionmode X (where X is the setting value, as listed above)

[*]Water ripple render range:

• Description:
      • The new water effects include adding some ripples ("noise") to make it appear less like plastic and more realistic. This setting controls how near/far the client renders the rippling effect, or if it renders it at all.

[*]Known issues:

• This only works with the new water effects enabled in the video options (to my knowledge)

[*]Setting values:

• 0 = Off (default)
      • 1 = Short range
      • 2 = Longer range

[*]Enabling/altering the settings (type in the chat window; unsure if a client restart is needed, but if you don't see a change immediately, restart the client):

/console rippleDetail X (where X is the setting value, as listed above)

Edited by Waldonnis