Stygian Abyss

Scarst

Going through the Stygian Abyss was a fun but dangerous and is best done in a party, I got farther than i would have with the help of James.

10di59h.jpg

After I got across death hall I found a blessed item that looked like the book of truth and a throne that rose above the rest and I assumed it was the throne of the goblin king.

8vntl5.jpg

After I relished in my victory I found out that I could have gotten through without the traps and many deaths of James.

After Many Encounters with the "Sparkle Of Death" as I so deemed it, and I think James agreed with the name, We got to a very nice place that was sort of short lived because we wanted to move on to see more.

29gc22v.jpg

I will post the giant spider picture next time I get on the beta to take the screen shot it really is huge and fun to kill.

Over all me and James had a good time.

Edited by kodoz

Excellent reporting, and thanks for the screenshots! I've been unable to find much time to explore the Abyss myself, so these pictures are much appreciated.

Here is the picture of the giant spider, I had two people with me at this point that I had picked up at the renown wyvren spawn and well we took down a bunch of those things.

wsslj8.jpg

Upon finding out how to get void essences I set out to get a clockwork assembly and a power crystal afterwords only to find I needed to talk to Sutek who I still can't figure out where he is even with all the vague instructions I've received. Only to find they changed what enslaved gargoyles look like.

1445vk9.jpg

After that I wondered the gargoyles Royal City and only to stumble upon what seemed to be a museum with statues in it and outside of it were statues of four of the five current peerless. Inside I say statues of terathan and a lizard man and there weapon then I went down and saw statues of evidently an ettin an ogre and a troll with there respective weapons after about 2 second I was horrified by the troll the picture will tell it all. I quickly polymorphed into an ogre to see if these were actually the new models for the monster and thankfully they are not.

11m9w6a.jpg

{Kodoz Edit Note: Those are the original UO: Alpha models for the Repond monsters.}

If someone could fix that I'd appreciate it but for now it may be for the best as the second one well my writing pretty much says it.

Edited by kodoz

Well I went out yet again this time with James after he completed a new suit with high resists lrc and some lmc at my advice. We found out that either you can't sail the Stygian Abyss or the devs don't want us to yet as I kept getting the message " You can not reach the water" even when I was on sand next to it while the water tiles are cracked in some places I saw a boat under it which I'm hoping they will fix. While exploring James found a mountain cliff gargoyles could fly up but it didn't seem to special because with a bit of walking I was there too. We ran into a spawn of Skree which I quickly wanted to tame but wasn't successful with the invis after trying method even with James help. So in a Rube Goldbergesque way only James could pull off he made a hatchet which I then used to cut some wood (with my human automatic 20 in lumber jacking) which he than used to make a flute which I then used to peace the Skree and after about 4-5 trys and a lot of "You have angered the beast" which is funny when you see the picture I got it.

I also got one for James which was much better and only took two tries which was kind of ironic.

James says they are the dinosaur from Primeval.

This is the picture of after the first one.

sq3x2w.jpg

Again if someone could fix this up and thanks Kodoz for last time and James told me they were alpha models and that is the trolls loincloth but I still say it doesn't look like one.

Edited by kodoz

Well I was looking to see if I missed anything around the gargoyle Holy City. When I got there I noticed undead gargoyles (not there full name but you get the idea) and I decided to see what i could do about it.

suty5e.jpg

I found that Hail Storm was good against them and proceeded to round them up and slaughter them with it.

After words I thought it would be a good time to take a picture of it and Nether Cyclone.

1zv6d8o.jpg

Edited by Scarst

Thanks for keeping us updated on your escapades! One thing, though. On your images, you need to begin with img and end with /img, with a slash in front of the closing tag so that the image imbeds instead of turning into text. There's also an Insert Image button when you go to make a post. It's the second button to the right of the emoticon button with the smiley face. Just letting you know so Kodoz doesn't keep having to go in and edit them for you, haha. :p

So it should be like:

[img=http://www.url.com/image.jpg]

Edited by Piper

Thanks for keeping us updated on your escapades! One thing, though. On your images, you need to begin with img and end with /img, with a slash in front of the closing tag so that the image imbeds instead of turning into text. There's also an Insert Image button when you go to make a post. It's the second button to the right of the emoticon button with the smiley face. Just letting you know so Kodoz doesn't keep having to go in and edit them for you, haha. :)

So it should be like:

[img=http://www.url.com/image.jpg]

When I do that it errors on me and it doesn't work either I just think the board hates me.

There I started a tinypic account so I could do it so no more bothering kodoz haha. Now time to go on an insane crusade maybe take screenies of the new champ spawns. If I could surtek it would make my day.

Edited by Scarst

This will be a long one first I'll point out I had to go in twice so these weren't taken in order that I will be posting but in order of in and out of the spawn to give a general idea how it is set up along with a few comments and things I thought were interesting. These were taken by another character I had made for more pvp related purposes and that could survive longer.

This is the Primeval Lich

The blood fountain is one of the first things that I thought was interesting.

e8obwg.jpg

These were kind of odd and I noticed when i was coming back from the first trip because the night sight went wacky and the potion wasn't working so I had to go back for some reagents and a spell book to get a mage night sight which worked a bit better but there were still some total black spots so when i came back I got them

33459ox.jpg

2lnk1mo.jpg

For those who didn't notice the grave is the same and each picture is put together

Then I went into the crypt which was kind of cool but on the first run through I experienced a lot of problems with the potion night sight that didn't happen with the Mage night sight. I found eight levers I'm not sure if they will serve a purpose or not during the spawn.

2s5zn0l.jpg

2z50nsp.jpg

Then there is the Death Vortex which any one who has gone to ice fiends has seen one but I figured it's a new one and it might actually have a practical purpose at release.

2008p37.jpg

Up a bit farther is a shrine which I had to come back for with the mage night sight.

5xjxue.jpg

Outside the crypt as I have called it you can go south to see the alter. Unfortunately in the beta they didn't bother to make the spawns no housing areas so there are three house by my count placed in the spawn and unfortunately as you can see one was placed here.

2ahedmr.jpg

After I rounded the corner I found something humorous. Evidently the developers didn't feel like tiling the ground.

2wqydyq.jpg

And after getting a mage night sight I was able to see inside the house.

b89rv8.jpg

That is the Primeval Lich spawn site it is shaped as a U if you are curious.

I wanted to profile the Abyssal Infernal but unfortunately there isn't much to profile. In fact I can do it in one picture.

5exwkz.jpg

You see the alter and the two starting creatures, chaos demons and familiars, for anyone who likes to see sights in the world this spawn is not for them it is barren except a bridge that goes over a small half stream of lava that waterfalls into a hole in the ground. (I never thought I'd use waterfalls as a verb.) The is also a rock mountain like thing that is maybe 8x8 tiles with a line you can't cross in between it and the edge of the spawn. Unless this spawn some how actively changes the environment I doubt it is anything but running around killing crap in a big circle. I was far more impressed with the Primeval Lich spawn and it's various sights. When I look at this one and what they could have done I think they just wanted to add another spawn for the hell of it and decided to not put much effort so they could gloat at two more champion spawns instead of one good one. (although there are a few tiles missing in the primeval lich but it does look solid)

This will probably end up either a killing field or a place no one goes except the occasional safe spawn.

(Well I just read that throughout the spawn there are environment changes in both the new champion spawns some of which you are able to take out of the spawn. I just hope the spawns environment resets each time.)

Edited by Scarst

Well I found one last route I hadn't explored and it lead me to an abandon town split in half by a massive crag. It had only one monster in it.

2coo18w.jpg

The Slasher Of Veils, I though i had read in one of the dev meeting chat logs where they answered question that you shouldn't try to fight the slasher of veils and to be honest the stealther I was using took a half of a minute to kill a green goblin due to lack of hci and dci and was only meant to have insane hp regeneration. After getting the screen shot I had to come back with a gargoyle to see if the crag was crossable in hopes I might find surtek, the only mystery I've heard of that I couldn't find, but it wasn't crossable to my knowledge. I did however come back with my mysticism template that I had done the most exploring on and see if i could at least damage The Slasher which I didn't he completely destroyed the collosus. On my three trips there I saw they added Fairy Dragons which when i clicked them to see if they were tamable I got nothing.

I think this ends my exploration Of the Stygian Abyss until it comes out or until some one gives me better information on where surtek may be as I really did want to see the mechanical pets.

This is the biggest dungeon yet and I really hope I only scratched the surface as being able to figure it all out in about 8 hours total makes me think something is wrong.

Side Note: The Slasher has the same ability that paralyzes you and makes every mana cost 25% more as the crimson dragons did.

Edited by Scarst

Your analysis of the Abyssal Infernal spawn matches mine exactly.

I would be VERY interested in actually running the spawns though (even though I've heard they're broken).

There was also some very odd things in the Abyss, such as the blue cloud that followed me everywhere and damaged me if I stayed still for more than a few seconds in any one location.

The trap-hall is also interesting, and gives someone with remove trap and detect hidden something profitable to do.

The skree is a pet that will go the way of the reptalon in no time flat. Yes, they have sleep breath, which is pretty fun. But after that, they have very low damage output, pretty low resists and very few hit points. And all that for the low-low cost of four tame slots!

But I'm going to tame one anyway. And a highland/lowland boura combination. And a pair of spiders.

The no-draw tiles aren't there in the SA client.

Thanks Scarst for the reports!

Your analysis of the Abyssal Infernal spawn matches mine exactly.

I would be VERY interested in actually running the spawns though (even though I've heard they're broken).

There was also some very odd things in the Abyss, such as the blue cloud that followed me everywhere and damaged me if I stayed still for more than a few seconds in any one location.

The trap-hall is also interesting, and gives someone with remove trap and detect hidden something profitable to do.

The skree is a pet that will go the way of the reptalon in no time flat. Yes, they have sleep breath, which is pretty fun. But after that, they have very low damage output, pretty low resists and very few hit points. And all that for the low-low cost of four tame slots!

But I'm going to tame one anyway. And a highland/lowland boura combination. And a pair of spiders.

The no-draw tiles aren't there in the SA client.

Thanks Scarst for the reports!

In the 2d client the cloud is the Sparkles Of Death. And what spiders? wolf spiders?

Oh and I think the healer spawner went wacky.

jb5xy8.jpg

Well at least you'd have no problem getting a res unless they started fighting about who gets to do it.

Edited by Scarst

Well I Finally found Sutek thanks to James and a map he made me showing me how to get to a place I didn't think existed.

kqpsz.jpg

After his crazy quest which I suggest being mounted for you get the mechanical life guide. Anyone can get it which means you don't have to take your tinker down just to get it in fact I'd recommend taking a stealther with an ethy.

I made a gargoyle which in the classic client looks like a man who needs to get some sun. Making the assembly is one thing then you have to add stuff to it. In the case of the gargoyle pet it is 50 leather and 25 white scales.

1538ynp.jpg

The original reason James was down near sutek was because he was told that's where you catch a mud puppy for a quest but it turns out you catch them in the other part that is above ground or at least the lighter side. We started fishing and after about 5-10 minutes I caught two mud puppies in quick succession and gave one to James after going to turn it in I got a Fishing Pole that turned my into a green goblin. We continued to fish for at least 10 minutes until James caught a red herring which is used to get a ring that turns you into a gray goblin after he caught one he stuck around for a minute until I got one too.

Here is Green.

25s1uty.jpg

And here is Gray

2vi1jyv.jpg