Star Wars: The Old Republic Revealed

Its October 21, and the cats out of the bag as Bioware, Lucas Arts, and EA, announced that the project between Bioware and Lucas Arts; and Bioware’s secretive MMO project are one in the same. It also was announced that the name of the new MMO is Star Wars: The Old Republic, placed 300 years after KotOR 2.

I also have the live blog that 1up did, I don't think i should put it up here, since its 18 pages on word.

So Cheers, we get a new game. ;)

Here are the Press Release.

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_...ublic_revealed/

And i can only guess that this is the main site.

http://www.swtor.com/

This is something I've been holding my tongue on for awhile now. I didn't want to step to far forward and get my heart (or that pulpy mass that passes for it) smashed again.

Now that it's been announced I'd like to move forward on planning our association in this game. Questions will have to be answered such as Sith or Galactic Republic and guild themes.

I'm excited to see this coming out and with a strong base community that we have I know we can make a stellar guild in this MMO.

Are you with us...

Syban Ferin-Sha

Its October 21, and the cats out of the bag as Bioware, Lucas Arts, and EA, announced that the project between Bioware and Lucas Arts; and Bioware’s secretive MMO project are one in the same. It also was announced that the name of the new MMO is Star Wars: The Old Republic, placed 300 years after KotOR 2.

I also have the live blog that 1up did, I don't think i should put it up here, since its 18 pages on word.

So Cheers, we get a new game. ;)

Here are the Press Release.

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_...ublic_revealed/

And i can only guess that this is the main site.

http://www.swtor.com/

I've heard these rumors for awhile now myself, and I'm glad to see that many of them weren't too far off base. As a huge fan of Bioware games, and of the Star Wars Universe, I'm really looking forward this.

You are right, the 'swtor.com' site is the official site for the game. I dont' know who can change the thread title from 'KotOR' to 'TOR', but that might be appropriate since this does take place 300 years after the KotOR games and BioWare is apparently being really careful to make a distinction between the two settings.

Ok, so some interest for this game is evident... now on to the planning stages. Name, theme and association for a T.H.E. guild.

I'm not to sure on a name, Imperial Trade Consortium (I.T.C.) was nicely done and I have fond memories of that abbreviation but I'm sure that name wouldn't apply so well to this new MMO. In addition I think a guild name would largely reflect our guilds theme and association, say if we go Sith building a guild theme based on happy go lucky lollipop makers wouldn't fit. So that leads me to believe both name and theme are going to be hard to decide until we get an affiliation chosen.

Theme, see above.

Affiliation, I happen to favor being affiliated with the Sith. It has plenty of RPing opportunity and leaves the choice of being ruled by our emotions.

Another point that may affect our guild direction would be the game mechanics, I'm talking classes and the NPC thing they're hinting at. If they make an MMO that operates like the original KotOR games with NPCs that follow you around and do what you say making a guild would seem less important to the average player. That and if everyone is a Jedi/Sith it would drive how the guild is created. (Thematic and Name.)

Just some points and thoughts anyones opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Talk soon,

Sy

Im all for goin Sith always wanted to be a Sith in Galaxies but never really got to be one now my dream of sithdom can come true!

I agree that we need to choose a theme first then a guild name would be much easier to think up. You know me I would choose a special forces military type theme. Like we are the best of the best of the Sith forces when a job seems impossible and it seems like it's suicide then they call on us to get it done. But i know not everyone is as blood thristy as me so we could always make an inner guild thing for that purpose like we did with the Secra rangers in the ITC.

But it will be hard until we get some further information about the classes and what not

Just thought i'd put in my 2 cents

Hope to see all my ITC comrades soon in the old republic

Syban: Thanks for heading this venture. Our two most successful guilds post UO were ITC (Galaxies) and Clan Skullcrusher (WoW)- the reason for this was simple....TONS of pre-planning!

I could go either way as far as what side to play. The only downside to playing Sith is that it will most likely be the population heavy side. (lots of little kids wanting to be Darth so and so...)

I will have to read up more about the game so I can find some "background story" stuff to add for an opinion.

I look forward to it!

As for heading this, I'm not to sure I would be the best choice for that. My last term as leader here didn't end so well and I don't want to give a chance for a second coming. That being said my full support and as much time as I can spare will be thrown into this if the info and game look good.

Now onto the meat...

I'm getting some info indicating they may be building a game where the initial levels are a 'solo endeavor' and the end game will be full of raid material. Kind of the lesson WoW learned after Burning Crusade came out where they lowered level experience and uped quest rewards so people could get to the end game quicker. So that being said a guild would benifit just as much as it does now in WoW.

Also it seems they may be planning on more than just Jedi. That could drive cannon geeks up the wall if a soldier is just as powerful as a Jedi/Sith. But that could add depth to the game than just a bunch of overweight nerds living in their parents basements swinging computer generated glowy sticks at each other all day and calling each other losers... maybe I'm projecting to much?

In any event many of the choices we would have to make for a guild will be driven by the info they'll eventually release, lets hope that's soon.

Also, many online games these days have been opening up earlier in beta for 'large guilds' that join the beta programs. If this is a route Bioware/Lucasarts takes I think with a little goosing we can up our chances of getting into any beta they offer. Keep our ears to the ground and if anyone has any information on that sort of beta plan post it here.

Talk to everyone soon,

Sy

Hey Syban, when I came to the guild in SWG I think you were the leader of ITC and I thought you did a great job, whatever happened at the end. I think you would make a excellent leader for the new guild.

As for the side, I don’t really care. Whichever side you go with, I’ll tag along, but I might try the other side, just to see what it’s like. As for the sith side being all kiddies, I thought in SWG and even WOW, the bad guys, hints the Empire and Horde, had more mature players then the good guys side, the Rebels, and the Alliance. I figured all the kiddies wanted to be and play as the good guys, but that was my take and could be way off.

You don't sound too positive about this Arkan. Maybe you need to recharge your LS and kill a few rebels. I will be keeping my eyes on this and will most definitely give it a try. Talked with Budsp about it and he wants to try it out also. This would be cool if folks would all meet up and do stuff together again. Laters and remember to have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I hope so too Arkan, that more people pop on, and now that I think about it, does anyone know how to contact some of the others from the guild, like mmc or lyde, I don't think those two never really paid much attention to these forums, and I’m sure those two would join in a heartbeat. And I doubt that those two were the only ones, so that’s probably why it looks like there’s a low turnout.