Build 8681 Observations

Waldonnis

Worth noting that the patch notes generally won't change much, so you really have to hunt for new info, but it's in there.

I'll keep updating this post with things that I've found. I won't cover the individual talent and spell changes, as these are covered in much more detail on other sites (that and I don't play every class nor can copy all of mine over).

General:

• Mini-pet and Mount changes are in! Check the pet tab under your character sheet to see/use them. The interface is still rudimentary, but it's quite nice. Also, existing mounts and pets seem to not have converted properly and cannot be stored yet, but if you buy new ones, they will be "learned" properly. Any class with a mount spell is automatically learned (warlock, death knight, and paladin class-specific mount spells).
  • The overhead map appears to have been completed or at least moreso for Crystalsong Forest.
  • Talent points have been refunded for many (all?) classes due to the talent tree changes across the board. Don't leave home...or the inn...without spec'ing!
  • The mini-map tracking selector's amensia seems to have been cured. It still has amnesia *sighs*

Ebon Hold:

• Ebon Hold has been redone! It retains much of the same layout but doesn't seem to be nearly as geometrically busted as the old version. The portal to the second level is now not in the centre, but more towards the overlook platform. Several camera and lighting issues remain, but overall, I like this version better.
  • A flightmaster has been added (thankfully). The "windriders" are skeletal birds, which look pretty funny (think Karazhan). The connecting flightpoint is (obviously) Light's Hope in EPL.
  • A death knight specific flying mount has been added to a new vendor in Ebon Hold. Check out Dread Commander Thalinor in Ebon Hold (near the new flight master) to check out the item. Current cost is 950g at my rep level. An interesting note is on the tooltip: despite it requiring only 225 riding skill, it states "Speed scales to riding skill". So yes, you'll still be spending the chunk o' coin on 300 flying if you want it to be fast, but won't have to buy a new mount to achieve the speed boost! Nice perk, if you ask me. And yes, it is the "skeletal gryphon", aka Skeleychicken! Supposedly it's a placeholder model, but I picked one up so we'll see how it develops.

Dalaran:

• The barber shop works now! Stop in for a new hair cut, colour, or change of features! It's a bit pricy and I haven't seen any new options amongst the styles yet, but it's fun. Note: does not work on death knights currently (sad panda).
  • The Kirin Tor apparently hired some interiour decorators for the buildings in Dalaran. They now have an appropriate theme of decorations in each and I must say, they look really nice now.
  • Profession specialty trainers have been added to Dalaran as well, such as shadoweave specialty (tailoring), gnome engineering, weaponsmithing (blacksmith), and dragonscale leatherworking.
  • Gardeners have apparently done some work on the portal area in Dalaran, although they've replaced the lovely pool of water with a grate (maybe some hapless orphan drowned in there).
  • Dalaran has a sewer now, which appears to be where the battlemasters will live (arena vendors and arena battlemaster is there now). There's an inn down there as well (odd, but true). If you want to explore the sewers, bring a snack...it will take awhile.
  • Mailboxes and guild vaults got a new look, and nice ones at that.
  • Noted three new vendors (all inactive) for trinkets, relics, and "odds and ends"...we'll have to see what's carried on them, but I'd suspect that they'll carry similar-quality items to the armour/weapon vendors.
  • A "toymaker" gnome was added as well, but he's still inactive.
  • Some lighting has been added to the Horde-factioned inn. It's still a bit bleak in there decor-wise, but at least you can see your own feet now.
  • Flying out of Dalaran no longer puts you in "No Man's Land" while on the flight path!

Death Knight:

• Death knight appearance changes are starting to creep in: we now have glowing blue eyes across all races
  • Rune of Cinderglacier has been added. Has a chance to increase the damage by 20% of your next 3 spells that deal frost or shadow damage (lasts 30sec).
  • One-handed weapon versions of several runeforging enchants have also been added.
  • Summon Deathcharger has a new icon; no longer shares the same one as the Forsaken mounts. The "On a Pale Horse" talent has the new one as well.

Edited by Waldonnis

The barber shop works now!

Yay, Holy can finally get her hair put up ;)

Profession specialty trainers have been added to Dalaran as well, such as shadoweave specialty (tailoring), gnome engineering, weaponsmithing (blacksmith), and dragonscale leatherworking.

Dear Raptor Jesus please tell me they updated the JC trainer...my leftover mats are mocking me ;)

Death knight appearance changes are starting to creep in: we now have glowing blue eyes across all races

WTB a Cult of the Damned makeup kit...I wanna add evil facepaint to my orc & give him a deathly complexion. Too many Death Knights blend in with the warrior & paladin crowd.

Added a Bugs section to my post...

Dear Raptor Jesus please tell me they updated the JC trainer...my leftover mats are mocking me ;)

I'll check again once I'm done working on some mount-related UI code changes, but I don't remember seeing anything when I glanced through each.

WTB a Cult of the Damned makeup kit...I wanna add evil facepaint to my orc & give him a deathly complexion. Too many Death Knights blend in with the warrior & paladin crowd.

I believe the plan is to give them a more palid appearance, but I'm not sure the artwork is finished. The bugs noted above relating to DK appearance may be the precursor for such a change.

Something else has been bothering me...I got a mail from your mage regarding more gems, but I cannot open it. The letter is there, and I get a tooltip, but can't view the contents at all or retrieve attachments.

I'll put in a bug report for it when I get out of work, but have you noticed any problems with the mail system on Beta?

Something else has been bothering me...I got a mail from your mage regarding more gems, but I cannot open it. The letter is there, and I get a tooltip, but can't view the contents at all or retrieve attachments.

I'll put in a bug report for it when I get out of work, but have you noticed any problems with the mail system on Beta?

Mail to/from the same account seems to be fine, but I haven't opened mail from anyone else yet (need...bag...space!). I'll see if I can free up some room and try to open some herbs that Kadi sent me.

Nothing new on the jewelcrafting trainers for you yet, Holyssa ;) There are two new rings on the jewelry vendor in Dalaran, so if you happen to be in the area, check them out...

I saw them. But the prices made me vomit in my mouth a little.

Oh, want a good laugh? Onyxia gets killed by two ret pallies...

...in one minute.

My god, I'm tempted to bust out my own ret gear, bring Kadi to Ony, and splatter the ol' dragon just for giggles.

Edited by Holyssa

Nothing new on the jewelcrafting trainers for you yet, Holyssa ;) There are two new rings on the jewelry vendor in Dalaran, so if you happen to be in the area, check them out...

I saw them. But the prices made me vomit in my mouth a little.

Oh, want a good laugh? Onyxia gets killed by two ret pallies...

...in one minute.

My god, I'm tempted to bust out my own ret gear, bring Kadi to Ony, and splatter the ol' dragon just for giggles.

I'd be up for that. Trying to level as Holy spec is making me cry. I thought I would be lazy but... I think I'm going to cave and go ret while in beta. I can respec for healing goodness whenever needed, so I'll try to keep up on both sets of gear.

Also, there are new blacksmithing patterns in, Holy, but they are all Prot spec. I doubt they are upgrades for you, but if you catch me in game, ask me to link em to you and I"ll make whatever you need.

Also, there are new blacksmithing patterns in, Holy, but they are all Prot spec. I doubt they are upgrades for you, but if you catch me in game, ask me to link em to you and I"ll make whatever you need.

I was looking at those the other day...I may try out a little tanking once I figure out the new talent changes well enough to put together a spec. I'll keep ya posted and already have quite a bit of ore laying around.