Muato's recent history

Muato

(( This is a work in progress, but I wanted to carry it over from the boards at BMC while I was there. This is Muato's recent history, aka starting at the timeline of WoW. His history pre-dates the Horde / Alliance truce, and continues to present day. I just finished the story of how Muato came to be with the Crushers, so check it out! ))

How Muato first came to be called to the BMC

To keep busy since waking, Muato had practiced his skill in leatherworking to keep it sharp, and to honor his father and the slain leatherworkers of Thunder

Falls. He also liked using different types of animal skins for their natural properties of toughness or magical resistances, and frequently sewed in flora, in

memory of his mother. After awhile, he noticed certain types of flora actually provided beneficial qualities to the armor it was sewn into, so it became kind of

a trademark to his leatherwork. The wildvine in particular, would provide varied results based on how the vine was sewn into the armor.

While collecting skins and wildvine in Stranglethorn, Muato came accross an albino variety of wildvine found in the higher altitudes of the hills of

Stranglethorn. He had never seen such a brilliant white variety, and was curious if it provided the same benefits as the normal green and purple kind. As he

collected the herb, he thought how odd it was to see the vine with no flowers at this point in the season, just buds.

After returning to his home in Moonglade, he started tanning a piece of Kodo skin he had collected earlier that week in preparation for the new armor he would

make. Kodo skins seemed to be the best for testing additive effects because of their pristine nature and lack of any detectable magical enhancements. His druid

friend Mora Windcaller came to tea that evening, and immediately noticed the white wildvine sitting on the tanning bench by the window. Startled at seeing it

actually there, she walked over to it and touched it, feeling it's leaves and inhaling the fragrance of it's blossoms. Blossoms? It didn't have blossoms when I

collected it, Muato thought.

"Where did you get this?" Mora asked.

"I found it in Stranglethorn as I was collecting Wildvine. Haven't you seen albino wildvine before?" After all, she was an accomplished herbologist, and he doubted

there was an herb on earth she hadn't seen.

"Actually, no I haven't. And it's not wildvine, though I can see how you made the mistake...they are very similar in appearance. I'm not sure, but I think it's

Elune's Moonvine. If it is, you are very lucky to have one Muato, they are extremely rare. They only live for one day, the day of the full moon, growning from

seed to mature vine, blossoming in the full moonlight, and dying at sunrise." Muato took notice of the moonlight from the fullmoon coming in the window.

"Hmmm...so do you know any recipies that require the blossoms? I only need the vine for stitching." Muato stated.

"No, I don't." she said. "I'm afraid their rarity has made study of them slow, at best. I would be glad to take the blossoms with me to the alchemical lab before

dawn, perhaps there is a way we can preserve one. You don't mind if we have tea another time Muato, do you?"

"Not at all." he said. "It'll give me time to work with the vine before it decays, if it does as you suggest. There is always time later for tea." Muato smiled at his

old friend as she stared at the vine, fingering the blossoms. He got up and walked over to her. "Go ahead Mora, take them and go to the lab. You'll need to

gather some of the technicians and other alchemists. I'm sure the other 'flower pickers' will want to see this as well."

Her head whipped around to give him a face to face view of that long elven face and pointed ears. Her eyes were tight, momentarilly filled with a flash of anger,

but then a wry smile touched one corner of her mouth. She really did hate when he referred to the herbologists as 'flower pickers', but he only did it to get a reaction out of

her. She turned away from him to collect her blossoms.

"So, what are you going to make with the vine?" she said over her shoulder.

"I'm not sure yet." he said. "I'll have to make a decision quickly though, it seems I don't have much time. Maybe a harness, or a chestpiece if this kodo skin yields enough

usable leather." He motioned at the kodo skin stretched across a bench with a number of clamps holding it in place. "At least I'll have an idea what properties it yields if I sew

it into kodo leather."

Mora nodded as she collected the last of the blossoms off of the vine and placed them in her herb pouch. "Well, you only have one chance at this," she said, "so you'd better

make it a good one." She smiled that wry smile again at him again. "I'll let you know what we find out about this herb. Tea tomorrow evening then?" Muato nodded. "See you

then, old friend." He hugged her, careful not to crush the herb pouch at her side, and watched her walk out of the tannery down the path to the alchemy lab.

Sitting there alone, Muato thought about what he would do with the vine. It stared back at him, bare of all it's buds and flowers now...just the raw material he

would sew into the leather directly. It really was a brilliant white, almost hypnotic in it's glow. All of a sudden, Muato saw a flash, and he was standing in

the middle of a large city, with many small buildings with white columns, gazebos, and open walled structures. Everything looked misty though, washed out. He

knew this to be a vision, though it was the first that wasn't facilitated by smoking a combination of herbs, or accompanied by a ritual.

There was a large temple in the northwest, so he made his way there under the fullmoon. Walking into the temple, there was a beautiful garden that covered the

entire interior floor. At the center, was a statue of an elf holding up a bowl to the sky, with water pouring down from the edges of the bowl. The moon seemed to

shine directly into the room, concentrating on the bowl the elf held. The moon shown in through a domed window cut into the ceiling above, making the water a

brilliant white. He looked down to see the vine in his right hand, also glowing a brilliant white, enchanced by the moon...and a leather chestpiece made from

Kodo leather in his left hand.

I guess that decides that, he thought to himself about the leather chestpiece. The elf statue's eyes started to glow a brilliant red, and the shade of the

moonlight gradually changed from the brilliant white to blood red, as if the moon was being doused in blood. Then the water puring in from the bowl turned a

blood red, flowing down into the lower pool, mixing with the white water, devouring it until the entire pool was red. The light shining in, the entire pool of

water, and the light surrounding him was now a deep blood red. The statue seemed to talk to him then, but only in his head.

"You are called into service, Muato. We need you amoung the chosen to provide guidance and consuling, as well as to defend us. Though, it seems you need us as

well."

"Who are you, and who are 'The Chosen'?" Muato thought. As if the words were spoke aloud, an answer came. "I am that which makes war against her enemies. I am that

which selects those who are worthy to defend her. I am her General, and her protector. I am the Bloodmoon, and she is Elune. You shall aid me in my charge."

"But what am I to do? Where shall I go?" This time he mouthed the words, but no sound came out.

"You are to seek out those that are also chosen. You will know them, for they will seek you as well. There is a Shaman called 'The Bloodmoon', whom I have instilled

with a portion of my essence. Seek him out first, for he is most wise and worthy to lead the chosen. He will need counseling and aid though, and you shall

provide it. But be wary, for there are other elements at work that would seek the destruction of such a group, even from within. Now go, seek out The Bloodmoon."

With that, the vision faded into mist, and finally into darkness. Muato opened his eyes, and saw the dim interior of his tanning room, lit only by the moonlight,

now back to it's familiar bright white. He looked over to the tanning bench, expecting to see the Kodo hide and the vine, but was instead staring at a completed

chestpiece made with the Kodo leather and the sewn with the vine. Muato picked up the chestpiece and put it on over his robes. A little snug, but without the

robes it would be a perfect fit. The edges of the chestpiece glowed a brilliant white where the vine was used to stitch the pieces together. Just then he noticed

the outline of a full moon on his chest. The outline seemed to gather light from the edges and reflect it inward, finally recreating the image of a full moon on

his chest. He immediately set out for Thunder Bluff in search for the one called Bloodmoon.

Edited by Muato

Muato's Quest

Muato stands up from his place around the fire circle, weary from another day of battles and stress. He stretches his hands up to

the sky in an attempt to ease the pain of his tired shoulders. It helped a little, but the pain returns just as quickly as it left.

He lets out a deep sigh. As he steps a bit closer to the fire, the dancing flames accentuate the tiredness of his face. This meeting of

the Elders was the last thing he wanted to call this evening, but it had to be done. He had put it off long enough as it was.

"Bloodmoon, Elders of the Chosen, my faithful friends, I am weary. The combined effect of battles, both with darkness and with the

alliance, and the strain that comes with a leadership role have finally taken their toll." Muato rolls his shoulders in an attempt to rid

himself of the tired, aching that seems to always be there.

"Dreamwalker once spoke of a need to 'Mend the spirit'. I believe his wound was too great to be healed in the waking world, so he

resides in the spirit world with the remaining druids, in the Emerald Dream, while his body lays in stasis in the Stormrage Barrows.

Fighting the battles there are just as important as fighting them here, as both worlds are connected in a way not many understand.

Just know that one can not exist without the other. So, the cause is just, as the Dream itself is becoming corrupt...a sign that the

shadow is winning."

Muato takes a deep breath.

"My wound is not unlike Dreamwalkers, in many ways. But I have not allowed the wound to fester so long that it can not be healed.

However, I need to work on that healing with haste...otherwise it may threaten to destroy all that I have worked to build, and all

that I hold precious. This I know for truth." Muato sighs. "So, it is with haste that I make my way to Moonglade, to the Stormrage

Barrows to enter the dream. Only through this path will I be able to slay the unseen demons of the dark, and heal the spirit wound to

my soul. I know that I have many allies there to help with my quest, but in the end the quest is my own. I only ask for your

understanding and patience in my absence."

Muato reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small, round object.

"There is still one Tauren who remembers the atrocities at Thunder Falls, and I will never forget those that died to save us who were

so young." Muato turns the small object around in his hand, then makes a fist around it. "This is a 'Falling Stone' from the old

village of Thunder Falls. The people in my village would pile rocks and stones at the base of the falls to be smoothed through the

force of the water as it fell. These stones were used to make works of art and adorn rings, necklaces, and other jewelry. The name

has been forgotten over time, but not by me. This is perhaps the last remaining stone of it's kind."

Muato opens his fist, and the stone glistenes with blood in the firelight. "As I hid in my mother's lab behind the falls, with the

rest of the Tauren children, while the town was looted and burned, I wept for my mother. My tears fell upon this rock, and mixed with

the waters from the waterfall pool, now red with the blood of the fallen. The blood color seeped into the rock-face itself, and has

never worn away. This stone gives me strength of spirit in times of dire need, and serves as a rememberance for those that fell to

save the children of Thunder Falls."

"So, I leave this stone with you as a bond that I will return, and I charge that you keep it until then." Muato places the stone on

his empty seat. "Ish nah por ahh my friends, may the Earthmorther watch over you and give you strength."

Muato salutes the circle and walks into the night, his tabbard draped over his chair with only the gleaming red Falling Stone placed

on top.

Edited by Muato

Muato's Second Calling

When you receive a summons from the Arch Druid of Thunder Bluff, you go. And you go FAST! Muato received suchs a summons, and it was urgent, so he was

presented with a special 'Summoning Stone' that held magical powers. The runes on it were unique to each city or village, this one being Thunderbluff,

and if you concentrated on the stone for just a few moments, picturing the town in your mind, you would be ported there immediately. Of course, you had to

have been there at least once to get the special runed stone and know what to picture in your mind. After picturing Thunderbluff in his head, Muato was

standing in front of the inn keeper...a few moments later he was running as a cheetah to the rise where the Arch Druid was waiting. Muato had no idea he

would get two pieces of news that would change his life forever.

First, news from Feralis. Before Camp Mojache was established as a military stronghold in Feralis, the region was essentially a frontier because of it's

isolation and rough terrain. Because of this, the region was a target of frequent raids by the Dire Maul Ogre clan, as well as the Grimtotem Tauren tribe,

Thunder Falls being no exception. Aparently, while Muato was away at Moonglade, one such Grimtotem raid occured. The Grimtotem tribe seemed to have an

especially fierce desire that day to capture or kill as many Tauren from Thunder Falls as they could. From the start of the raid, there was rumored to be

an unusually dark demeanor about the raiding Grimtotem druids, as if a shadow had been cast upon their faces and they had been tormented. Since the first

sundering, the village of Thunder Falls had re-built and now housed many skilled leaterworkers, and was more than perpared to defend itself from the

Grimtotem threat...however, a new threat made itself known that day: the Silithids had re-emerged from behind the wall, somehow. It seemed that soon after

the Grimtotem raid began, the village was overrun by the giant bugs stinging, stabbing, slicing, and killing both Thunder Falls and Grimtotem Tauren alike.

At that moment, both Tauren tribes united to present a common front to the giant bugs, but there were just too many silithids, and the Tauren were crushed...

almost everyone one of them slain or drug back to the silithid hive for what ever horror awaited. The only survivors of that raid were a small group of

Tauren children that were able to hide in a cave behind the waterfall. It seems fate had replayed itself once again...

The famous ale brewed there...all those skilled leatherworkers...the place Muato was born and raised. All dead and gone, again. Muato thought he had dealt

with this so long ago, but he felt a renewed pain all over again, and one fiercer than before. He could barely control the rage within, and his heart beat

with the feral strength of a Dire Bear. His life was destroyed, again. His only comfort was in his parents' teachings of how life renewed itself in a

never-ending cycle. "Someday," his father said, "you will be reborn to your decentants...though you will not know yourself. You will be you in spirit, as

you were many times before, and will be again, but you will be different. This is the nature of things."

Then the second piece of news from the Arch Druid: Muato was called to join the Emerald Dream. Muato doesn't talk too much about the Emerald Dream. Perhaps

it's because of the corruption effecting it, or perhaps it because the things seen there need not be talked about. The fact of the matter remains, it is

Muato's opinion that the Dream is not right and is slowly becoming corrupt, including it's Green Dragonflight guardians. His tactics needed to be changed.

The renewal of nature could not wait, the fury of her had to be unleashed.

Being awoken into the 'World of Time' as some druids call it, is a lengthy process, but somehow Amayeta had found out where Muato was sleeping and decided to

start the ritual. A good time later, a groggy Muato starred at her as she filled him in on events.

"Much work needs to be done." Muato said. "The Chosen have been compromised. Where is Volonazra? I must speak with him immediately. Is the covenant still

intact, or has that fallen too?"

"I'm not sure, but I know Volonazra will have answers. He actually was the one that found out I knew where you were and asked me to wake you. I can't say

I didn't want to." She smiled at him.

"I am glad to see you again, Amayeta." and hugged her. "It's been too long."

Muato had been selective of whom he gave his friendship to. This was typical for a druid, which is why they mostly kept to themselves, at least in building

friendships. When you spend hundreds of years in the Dream, only to find out your friends have long since passed on, you learn to be more selective with your

friends. Amayeta had been one of those 'healy' type druids Muato had met at Thunder Bluff during his time there, and he had never forgotten her. There was

just....something about her.

Time had only just begun to heal old wounds for Muato, mainly those of his lost parents, and of the village now only a memory for most

Taurens...that memory erroded by the sundering and earlier by 100 years of passing time. He had purpose from being a druid, but he needed to find those

with common ground. He needed comrades he could fight beside, who he could count on, who he could call friends. Soon, he would have just what he needed.