OK you geeks

Qiris

I may be in the market for a gaming laptop, and since y'all are geeks (well mostly, Baracko is just a ho ho) I figured you might have a recommendation or three. Only requirement/restriction is no Macs (sorry Aletia!).

Let the geekinest commence.

Well, as much as I love my Mac, the operating system doesn't have that large a selection of games available. (Altho that's changing, EA is moving to develop for Macs now, and other MMOs are going to the mac such as Eve, so, there's hope)

However, since you're not asking about Macs :D I'll recommend a Dell. They seem fairly reliable, it's just they have this nasty thing on them called Windows. Beware Vista.

I am NO "geek" madame, for I am a nerd. You probably dont even know the difference, do you.

You didnt give us any info(budget, needs, likes) to go with, so Ill start with an example of a quality brand with high end components.

Just accept and clickon the following truth. IM A WANNA BE NERD PLEASE HALP

If you dont already know, you really want to look at some video card specs and the cpu architecture that are in the magic boxes these days. Also, are you married to a lap top?

Yep I'm married to a laptop. We are in the process of massively downsizing as we move to Boston and there's no room for desktops. And yes I know the difference between a geek and a nerd. Mostly I want to make sure I have enough processing speed and a kick ass video card so I can play WoW without wanting to play Frisbee with it.

Edited to add: a friend has this laptop and says it is fantastic. So yeah I know I'm not looking at a $500 cheapie from Best Buy.

Edited by Qiris

That looks to be a quality laptop too. Im on my wife's Toshiba right now. Its a Inspiron 6000, and has been very reliable if nothing else. Its taken some licks. Thanks to my two rugrats, its been pulled off coffee table, had juice squirted on the keyboard, had all the keys pulled off and other autrocities and still has kept on tickin'.

If you want some professional opinions maybe check out http://www.tomshardware.com/ and search for that model and see what they say. They are reputable as they come for "objective" reviews.

Definately that price range is awesome if you can swing it. Since laptops arent made for upgrading (easily) I would go for near top of the line tech and quality parts for best investment. :D

Edited by Volonazra

Well I'm self employed now, and my accountant told me yesterday I need expenses to write off against what I'm bringing in. Since I've been thinking about getting a solid gaming laptop for awhile AND since my accountant gave me that advice yesterday, I may well pull the trigger soon.

It's a lot of money, there's no getting around that :D

ooo, you could always go for the buy 2 of the same thing method and mail one to your friendly neighborhood starving grad student

*waves his magic wand* :D *these are not the droids you are looking for, just go buy houli a laptop, it will be fun.*

-obi'wacko'kenobi

Edited by Houli

Who you callin a Ho Ho? ;p Good to hear you're alive! I was commenting to Waldy the other day that I missed you two bums!

I hope the move is going alright!

Just as a point of reference, I just bought an Inspiron 1520 and have been very happy with it. Upgraded the RAM and graphics card, and it runs WoW VERY well.

Hope to see ya guys soon.

- Bar

I had a Toshiba that played games well... but that was like 4 years ago hehe - our cat ended up breaking the plasma screen so it got tucked away...

And yay for moving to boston =D Closer to meeeeeeeee =D Gabe is in need of a roadtrip >.> <.<

Yah need a job first, also the house to sell :yahoo:

But the Toshiba got here last night. It's HUGE, seriously a desktop replacement and the power supply thing is as big as a brick! I haven't gotten WoW installed yet, that's tonight.