Roleplaying Tips

Balandar

The following are some tips from Aluim and myself. We will add to this list as time goes on. Post any questions or tips you may have about Roleplaying.

No modern slang

Anything that your character says comes out exactly how it says. e.g. afk sounds like ‘afk’ and not ‘away from keyboard’. If you want to sound like you’re sneezing then that is fine. Same with lol, brb, wtf, omg, ttyl, etc, etc…

Instead of using the smiley faces, emote *smiles*, *grins*, or *sneers*… be creative with your emotes so you are not always doing the same thing over and over.

Have an idea of what kind of character your person is. For example, rude, civil, insane (e.g. Wolf), paranoid, etc.

Think about the environment. For example, *shivers* on ice island.

Here's a hint... Sometimes I emote exactly what I'm doing myself... for example if I am confused as to what someone means as I read their speach I might be sitting at my computer scratching my head, so its likely that you may observe Aluim with *Scratches his head* above him during some of Borg's longer speaches. Sneezes and yawns often translate from the real world into UO in the same way.  ???

Alium and Balandar both are in the elite when it comes to RP......specially when they are in as Elfs........using elf language.

Elf, Orc and Gargoyle are incredibly tough RP roles.....but darn fun to be around and see.........I commend you both on your dedication to that art.

Roleplaying is simply ONLINE ACTING.......simple.

EMOTES are incredibly useful at creating emotion and atmosphere.

NUMBER ONE SUGGESTION though........change the color of emote to something other than the default.

Open your JOURNAL and test several colors to find a balance between INGAME Read abilitiy AND Journal recording......helps a TON for others to keep up with your speach, mannerisms and environment you build ingame.

Hm, which make me have a question, how do you change your standard text in the 2d client? Ive changed everything and have yet to come to any conclusion on how to.

Click on the eye on the right side and then scroll down the page. You have options there on changing your text and emote colors.

Oh yeah... remember to roleplay constantly... that is if you wanna tell somebody that you had a horrible day at work or something you should probably utilize a messenger program or have your characters party up. Its not necessary to stay in character while partied... (to let you in on a little secret- sometimes us elves aren't even sure what we're saying to one another but its not a problem if we are partied together because we can simply explain ourselves without letting you humans know that we don't know) :smilewinkgrin:  It's especially helpful when assisting someone who hasn't played an elf before.

• 4 months later...
Oh yeah... remember to roleplay constantly... that is if you wanna tell somebody that you had a horrible day at work or something you should probably utilize a messenger program or have your characters party up. Its not necessary to stay in character while partied... (to let you in on a little secret- sometimes us elves aren't even sure what we're saying to one another but its not a problem if we are partied together because we can simply explain ourselves without letting you humans know that we don't know) :smilewinkgrin:  It's especially helpful when assisting someone who hasn't played an elf before.

And if you need to use the bathroom you say it in a party message... or come up with something creative like ' I have to tend to my throne in the other realm '

• 1 year later...

OK! TIME TO COMMENT ON THIS IN 2004!! ;)

As many may or may not know Ive been rping for a long time, and did on Catskills for years.

But the overall RP community of Catskills has fallen apart. Does that mean we cant or shouldnt rp in PGoH anymore???

NO!!!!!

j000 must!

;)

Read everything posted previously by BOrg, Balandar and the greatly missed Alium :nub:

Stay in character, learn how to BE your character. Think of their personalities, their quirks. What makes them, THEM?

Act it out. Use emotes like *smiles*, *grins*, *pauses* *yawns* etc...

You dont have to use fancy speech or anothe rlanguage to rp.

Maybe your character was raised a peasent? Maybe a merchant? Think how those people would act and think. How they would handle life, and interact with others.

It really isnt as hard as it seems, if you try simple basic things.

If you ever need advice, Kodoz, Borg, Ser BB, Wolf, heck any other older members and myself can easily help you out. Just say what youd like to know etc and see what we can dof ro you :D

Good luck, feel free to ask questions.

Strider.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I would also suggest to new RPers that they start with a character just like themselves - have the character do the same thing they would do in the given situation. It's a good way to start out and get accustomed to roleplay.

• 1 year later...
I would also suggest to new RPers that they start with a character just like themselves - have the character do the same thing they would do in the given situation. It's a good way to start out and get accustomed to roleplay.

I 100% agree with this my main toon SinDee is a ingame clone of myself ( but i'm a dudz irl :devil: ) and now i have 2 other toons (one a old grumpy blacksmith & my semi evil (grey jedi if you will) nerco) wich i have pick diffent ways to rp with and find i have a hole new game to play!