Clan Direction

Raeda

::steps up on a treestump in camp just so she can be at least eyelevel with the tauren::

Hail Crushers! I have recently been given the mantle of Chieftain of this great clan, and I'd like to take some more time to speak with you about the direction of the clan. First, to clear up any confusion, I'd like to restate that Aletia is my new main, and many of you have known me for a long time as Raeda. I've just put the shaman aside for a while.

As I said in the meeting, we are not a raiding guild, so, what are we? We have a number of people in our clan who enjoy roleplaying, and I would like to encourage more of it. We need to drop our laziness and add in roleplay each chance we get. It isn't hard at all, just like saying 'Hail Crushers' instead of 'hi guys'. There isn't a RP nanny around to whap you if you don't roleplay enough, I just would like to see as little real world chat in our guildchannel as much as possible (that's what the ooc channel is for). Any roleplay that is done just adds to the flavor of the clan.

Well, we can't just chat all the time, there are mobs to kill and loot to be had! So we do need our dungeons. :) It seems that Blizzard has put a number of obstacles in our way to getting this loot, namely by rep grinds and instance timers... but we can find our way through that. For starters, remember that this isn't a race. Don't just join groups when you need something of your own done, but help others on their quests too. I've found that I have gotten far more benefit by doing this than by just sticking with my own needs. We want stuff from many different places, so helping with an event that wasn't your priority today may still bring you good benefits. And even if it doesn't, helping your clanmates to become stronger will definitely benefit you when you are looking for someone to craft you a pattern or another strong sword by your side. The stronger we are together, the more we can do overall.

We have one team running Karazhan now, and with more people reaching 70, it may soon be time to start another run. Since Karazhan is a ten man run on a weekly timer, it isn't so easy to switch out people in one group to make sure everyone gets a chance. So I'd like to see another person step up to take the role of raid leader for a second run!

Once we get that new shiney pretty loot, I know people like to lootlink all to see. For some time that was getting out of control. I think you've gotten more of the idea now of when to spam chat with new loot and when not to, so I won't be too harsh about that. Just remember that too much linking gets annoying really fast. Also, once one person links an item, no one else should repeat the link immediately after! We can scroll up if we missed it.

Beyond the roleplay and beyond the loot, there is the Alliance. Yes, there are far too many of them, and their numbers need to be thinned! Some of our clan have already begun the fight by bringing out their 29 twinks to Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin, so feel free to make your own and join them Friday night, or create your own bracket group. I'd like to start promoting more world pvp as well. Since Alliance try to reclaim lost property rather quickly, the most effective way for us to gain new lands would be to work in a large team, so I was thinking that after our clan meetings we could stage an assault on Halaa, Hellfire or Zangarmarsh.

Please remember though, there is a limit to how much the leadership can do. If you're complaining about lack of community, lack of guildchat, and lack of instance runs, then take the initiative and start up the chatter yourself or help a random Crusher with his chores. This won't just come to you on a silver platter. If you have any thoughts on all of this, this post is a great place to start sharing your ideas. :D

Sound good to me. Me will try and be more active also. Me know me not around alot but alwayz feel free to ask dah ogre fer help.

BULA

Ogre WarlordBULAFORWEB.jpg

We have one team running Karazhan now, and with more people reaching 70, it may soon be time to start another run. Since Karazhan is a ten man run on a weekly timer, it isn't so easy to switch out people in one group to make sure everyone gets a chance. So I'd like to see another person step up to take the role of raid leader for a second run!

Thought I would give it a shot and try posting here since no one has responded to my other thread...

I kept hearing that we needed someone to step-up so we could get another Kara raid going, well I stepped up and got absolutely no interest...

I realize that we are not a raiding guild, but what I get the most fun of these days if running instances and yes, some of them are raids.

Did we lose all the people that were interested in going to Kara because we keep telling ourselves that we aren't a raiding guild?

I am just getting annoyed, I CAN"T commit to weekends so I wanted to try to get another group going for the weekdays (Tues/Thurs most likely), but with lack of interest I am lead to believe that I am going to have to look elsewhere and to do that I might have to make some sacrifices...

What also bothers me is that I thought we were switching the meeting days around so as not to always fall on the same day so those that have commitments on tuesdays could still go, are we not doing that?

The main instance/raid days on this server tend to me Tues-Thurs, does that mean that since we have to go outside the guild to actually do these things we have to miss 1/4 - 1/2 of them to attend meetings? and therefore don't get invited because someone who can be there every time is a better choice?

And while I am on my (very sleepy) rant...are we actually going to talk about something important at the meetings? I mean as it is the dread of going to a meeting is horrible, like making yourself go the the dentist to get a tooth pulled.

At one point they were fun...but common, the same thing every meeting, hours listening to people get initiated (although all are diff, they are the same) and then 2 min of actual business...I feel that a great opportunity is lost since we can't really discuss any business in guild chat since it can be hard to RP some of the major concerns.

The last couple months of meetings have been so boring that I find myself watching TV and wishing it would be over already...and I used to enjoy them the first couple months, but my ADD just can't take sitting through the same thing over and over again...I would rather be enjoying myself elsewhere.

Does this mean I don't want to be a part of the clan? no.

I think I have missed maybe 2 meetings in my career as a crusher (one I was really sick and Lefou dictated to me, the other I was on the road coming home) but you may not find at the next meeting as I truly can't see myself sitting through another one and falling asleep or flipping through the channels wishing I were else where because I hate to disappoint.

So here ends my sleepy rant, hope this explains my absence if I manage to start or get into a raid (otherwise I will be there if I don't have other commitments).

Sorry for the length...

Hm... I would suggest that initiating new recruits should be sped up, but I think that a (potentially) permanent addition to our clan is something that shouldn't be rushed through. Maybe we could limit the initiations to two/three a week or so...?

In relation to the meeting times, length, and agenda, I believe the initial intent was to create an opportunity to RP in a organized setting once every coupla weeks.

We know that some people really enjoy the rp, others are more goal oriented, or you are somewhere in the middle.

Yes, I think many of the people who wanted to raid are gone. There are many left, but I think our schedules don't allow us to do so anymore.

My advice would be this: Ask the clan as a whole. Many don't read the boards, so announce it during peak hours. If you need something posted on the guild MOTD, let an elder or warmonger know. Should that not provide the response you want, ask people who play the classes you need personally.

If none of that works, then you may have to look outside the clan.

Most of this may be redundant to you, but its the process I went through to get enough people for ZG way back when.

- Bar

Well, I was trying to throw out ideas to see if people wanted changes. Nothing is written in stone. But thanks for speaking up since you're one of the few that do. :laugh: Since I hear that people would prefer to keep meetings on Tuesday, I will do so, and perhaps limit them also to just once a month, to initiate new grunts. I was wanting to let peons in sooner, not having to wait potentially two weeks before they get admitted, since it typically takes us a few days to approve applications anyway before we tell the applicants they are accepted.

I say we're not a raiding guild in the sense that I will never mandate specs, I won't deny a person's app just cause we've already got too many of one class, and no one has to show up for mandatory raids. I do want us to run the dungeons that we want though. I'm really getting the impression that most people don't know what they want or how to reach it if they do know, so now that my finals are over for this semester, I'll try putting my efforts more to setting some goals for the clan.

As always, if there's something you'd like to see, let me know!

I rather enjoy our guild meetings, for me it's a nice break from the usual grind. Plus I come from an EQ guild that routinely held 2-4 hour meetings so to me these are short and sweet. :laugh:

I say we're not a raiding guild in the sense that I will never mandate specs, I won't deny a person's app just cause we've already got too many of one class, and no one has to show up for mandatory raids. I do want us to run the dungeons that we want though. I'm really getting the impression that most people don't know what they want or how to reach it if they do know...

As always, if there's something you'd like to see, let me know!

Just to reiterate. The statement: "We are not a raiding guild." is not synonymous with the statement:"We dont want to raid."

The spirit of CS is such that personal freedoms are held above guild raid progress. The spirit of CS is such that no demands are put upon members and everything is voluntary. The spirit of CS is to enjoy the game not blow threw all the content as fast as possible and slap epeens in the face of lesser guilds.

We will first and foremost be a group of friends. We shall raid. We shall have fun doing it. We shall take pride in our accomplishments and cheer others for theirs. This is Skullcrusher Law.

@Vendes, keep pushing my friend. Dont give up yet. Your raid will happen. Put up a sign up, and make an attempt with who shows up. Leaders must wade through alot of muck to find one ounce of gold. People can be reluctant. Plans for this and that are dime a dozen. YOU must be persistent and people will soon come to you, and see your effort, and follow you.

If you do this, keep in mind, one day you will be turning people away. Ask Maube.

@Everyone else, CS is a guild of the people. If anyone has an idea, anyone is given all the autonomy you want in order to make it happen. If you give the leaders your ideas, we will work on them too. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Spare everyone the drama, do not keep your wants quiet, or secretly complain and do nothing about it yourself. The current leadership team is motivated to helping everyone have more fun and more opportunity. However, the onus lies with EVERYONE else to take steps each time you play to make the game interesting and entertaining.

Edited by Volonazra

I agree with Vol and Aletia in regards to the "we're not a raiding guild" vs. "we don't raid" (we're the former, not the latter). I think too many are starting to feel like if they have to look outside of the guild for participation in a raid, then they're a bad fit for the guild...which is NOT the case. In fact, Molten Core was, in the beginning, mostly non-Crushers as many either weren't attuned, hadn't achieved 60 at the time, couldn't make the date/time, or just flat-out weren't interested. There's absolutely nothing wrong with bringing other guilds and people into a raid and it can often lead to some very beneficial relationships being established for everyone involved. As Vol said, put up a sign-up, PM or whisper one of us to advertise it in the MotD, etc...we'll help ya out, but need to know you need help first :D

I'm probably the one who harps most about the "we're not a raiding guild" thing and, perhaps I haven't made it clear what that means exactly when I say it. In short, extreme or hard-core raiding guilds have requirements and demands that we just don't and will never have: time commitments, raid attendance, spec enforcement, damage/healing meter placement, gear requirements, etc. I have good friends in some very high-end raiding guilds (not on this server, these guys make DP/BP look like carebears :p) and I honestly couldn't see any of us doing what they do. Things I hear from them include booting people from the guild because their damage/healing sucks, forcing specs, booting people because they missed two raids in a row, etc. To them, guild = raid and raid = guild...with little-to-no room for a good person that is just having some problems. Their entire focus is to raid and be the first/best...that's it...and they'd sell their own family members if it helped them down a particular boss before a rival guild (figuratively, but not far from the truth). I adore my friends, but honestly, they're heartless ######s at times. That is what I don't want to see and why I say what I say. To be the best or first, sacrifices must be made, including the element of fun in many cases. If you think meetings are boring, try beating your head against the wall on the same boss for 5+ hours per night, at least two nights per week until you get it right. In short, raiding is good when you do it for the challenge or to spend time with 10/25/40 people you like...not when it's akin to a job, which in turn makes being in a raiding guild into a job. Basically, let's not make CS into a job...keep raids fun and about the people and the challenge, not the damage meters or loot :laugh:

As for meetings...I'm open to suggestions about format or content, but to be totally blunt, they are what you make of them. If you're sitting back waiting to be entertained or for things you're concerned about to be brought up by others, then that may not happen. Speak up and bring up issues or concerns during the meetings...they're not just there for the applicants, we hold them for YOU. It's a chance to say things, joke around, or even just tease each other since we are rarely all in one spot for any length of time otherwise. This is not a business where management dictates the agenda...it's an open forum. I've said it before and I will continue saying it: without member participation, there's not a bunch we as leadership can do to help you get what you want out of your time at events. If you're less comfortable discussing things in public, feel free to bring up concerns to the Elders or Aletia via PM or whispers (please be mindful of where we are...getting into deep discussions while trying to kill an instance boss...bleh).

Just one concern about the meetings, I do enjoy them , but wish that they were earlier (say 7:30 pm or so) so that we can do instances, or group quests afterwards. Having meetings at 9:00 prevent people from doing both instances before (not enough time) and after the meeting (getting to late). This would also help with the establishment of a second kara raid, as they could always go after the meeting. As for setting up a second raid, as you can see from the current raid, we have plenty of extra's who are interested in going, so if you start up a second raid I'm sure you'll get plenty to sign up. Cal and I know a few people from smaller guilds that would love to go into kara but they don't have the numbers.

Anyways those are my comments based upon the other comments.

Thats a good point Kailand! One reason we had the meeting so late in the past was to accommodate the range of timezones that members of the guild live in.

Hey guys,

Just putting my 2 cents here too...

First of all I think putting a limit on the amount of time an initiation takes during the meetings wouldn't be so bad. I enjoy the RP, but I think that most of the time there's so much playing around that the actual initiation gets lost in the flood of emotes and inevitably makes the whole process so much longer. Maybe keep the initiations short and somehow lengthen the major announcements with RP?

I also agree with Kailand, I'm not a big fan with the 9:00pm meeting time. I know it's to try and accommodate people as best we can, but at that time slot I find it mostly gets in the way of any actual instances/raid. There's just no enough time prior to 9:00pm to do anything and after the meeting it's too late to start a new run.

---------------------------

To Vendes and anyone else that's interested in raiding:

I know how hard it is to recruit people, and how much harder it is to get a good balance. I can help with you this, but I need you to remain committed!

If Thursdays and Tuesdays are the when you want to raid, then please set up time slots and I will travel the world (of warcraft) in search of the brave souls you need. Already I know of many that would be willing to join you!

The one thing you'll have to concede to is the fact that there just won't be enough Crushers to fill your raid and probably half of it will need to be people from other guilds!

Add a post and list the names those you have recruited up to now and I can help you fill up the remaining spots...I promise!