The Baby Pool

Qiris

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) alright... take two on my birth story =) Computer decided to crash when I left to feed my darling baby boy.

So Friday when I went in - my BP was high enough and my reflexes were spastic enough to make my OB decide I needed to get induced. So terrified out of my mind... I went to the hospital friday night. Was settled in, gave some blood, and waited. Doctor gave me cervicil, hooked me up to the monitors and the trial by fire began. Mild contractions were nothing to write home about - but the main reason they were using this was to ripen my cervix since I was still not dilated. Roughest part of the night was any movement by me and the monitors would slide from where they were supposed to be and I would end up making hte machine's alarm go off, so my poor mother and husband weret sleeping at all - nice of them to come with me to the hospital since I was so scared.

Well saturday morning - a vaginal found I wasnt dilated. So hooked up to the Pitocin I started a very long day. By the end of the 12 hours of Pit, I was in agonizing pain - I was coping pretty well tho - had plenty of support and some wonderful nurses helping me through... but when the midwife checked me Saturday evening - I wasnt dilated STILL. However I was effaced but still my cervix was posterior. I was given the choice of starting another round of cervadil or miso during the night - but I opted to spend the night sleeping to have another full day of induction in the morning. So in the morning they started me back on pitocin - only to have the doctor discontinue it a couple hours later - we decided to try and go the strongest route we could and so I was given miso(dont know the whole name - but it is a pill inserted in the vagina) and so I started day 2.5 By the end of the day - I was having very strong contractions - but according to the monitors - it wasnt the type of contractions that are considered good contractions. So at 7:00 pm - 8 hours after starting the miso treatments - the doctor checked me again. Fully effaced but only a fingertip dilated. Talk about absolutely depressing. All that pain and work for two and a half days and nothing to show for it. and since my BP was stable - they considered sending me home. I was so disheartened I was ready to agree.

My nurse that afternoon however gave me another option and stuck to it to convince me, and it is a dang good thing she did. They decided to give me a shot of morphine and let me sleep through the night so I could be sent home in the morning to try again in two days. Emotionally and physically I was exhausted. The contractions were so painful I just writhed waiting for my shot. My husband and my mother were sent home since they wanted to make sure I didnt fight the morphine and just accept the release of sleep. 4 hours later the morphine was wearing off and I was in agony. Every contraction just sent me moaning and begging for sleep. I was by myself with no coach and no one to help me through the pain with comforting words (and I should mention... back labor STINKS) Finally, after about 4 hours of these contractions I asked the nurse for something to help me sleep or to stop the pain. She said she'd have the midwife examine me and then give me something after they monitored the contractions and the baby. So I got up and took a hot shower - wanting to scream every time my uterus clenched - but they felt no stronger nor any more frequent then the ones I had been having all day. Got out of the shower - laid back down - and a nurse came to give me a pelvic. 8 centimeters dilated. Shocked I just kinda sat there - even the nurses were surprised. So they figured I had some time yet. The next contraction - I felt water trickle between my legs. Nurse came in and tested it - my water had broken at 3:15am Frantic I asked the nurse to call my husband and my mother. My mother had no shot to reach me - she lives an hour away - but would 20 minutes be enough for my husband? The nurses were pretty confident that i still had some time - that I would spend plenty of time pushing. well the next contraction I had that pushing sensation, but it wasnt so intense that I couldnt ignore it - but I mentioned it to the nurse - a little lost in the pain. Next contraction I could not help but push, I remember apologizing for pushing while I was doing it and suddenly I felt a 'pop' and a rush. Membranes ruptured, I heard the dreaded word meconium. Blinking in surprise she barked orders to another nurse to wake up the midwife on call - they didnt wake her when my water broke. Quickly they set me up on the table as they pulled in the birthing tray and got everything ready. Next contraction had his head crowning. And then the last contraction - the midwife wanted me to push slower but I couldn't. at 3:36am on Monday the 16th Gabriel was born - in such a rush that I not only tore myself in the 'traditional' place but also in the fun places =p

Luckily Gabe didnt inhale any meconium and was given an 8 and 9 Apgar score. My husband came in during the repair job on my down there - and apparently he was really shocked about how much blood. There was a lot - but with me being so anemic through my pregnancy he was really really worried. After I delivered the placenta my mom came in. Both of the people who spent all that time with me at the inductions missed the birth. But now I have a beautiful baby boy - and I can be proud that I didnt even think epidural :cry: there would have been NO time to get me one even if I had thought about it. Only pain med I had was the morphine to let me sleep - and to think I was begging for a shot of darvocet hehe.

So... Gabriel Thomas was born - April 16th at 3:36am - 7lbs 1 ounce - 20 1/4 inches.

So yeah - its been a rough week. Now to cope with no sleep =) sore bewbies and a sore bottomend. So much fun trying to go to the bathroom while holding a baby :( put him down and he screams his head off, he is a cuddlebaby ::laughs::

And he looks just like Kat - its uncanny really. I barely made it out of labor without needing a transfusion - and he is a bit jaundiced but he has already regained 2 of the 3 ounces he lost in the hospital! And boy is he a pooperman =p So anyway - I hope you are all well and I appreciate the thoughts you have sent my way. Get to spend the next few weeks recouping and healing, and trying to get my hemocrit levels above 25 =p

well typing with a baby in the crook of your arm isnt the easiest task for me to complete so I am going to head out and see if I cant get Gabe to eat a big meal so I can potentially get an hour of sleep tnight ;) Hopefully I will be able to get some pictures uploaded tomorrow.

CONGRATS!!!!

First thing first, knowing that the mother and child are healthy and safe, it always brings a smile. Big one!

And the other thing is: long and painful as it was, sooner than later, it will be stories to be told with a sigh and a smile. (Well, I am a mere male who will never know child labor... but so I've heard ;) )

Congrats Maube and Katak!!!! I'm extremley glad to hear that everyone is ok ;) I hope you two can get some rest (somewhere in between the changing diapers and feeding).

Heheh - thanks everyone - coping pretty well - better then Kat is ;) I am exhausted but since I dont have to go anywhere - at 3:30am I wake kat up early for work and he manages to get Gabe to fall asleep - when he goes to work I can usually get two hours sometimes 3 ::laughs:: Grandma is coming down tomorrow so Kat and I are guarenteed at least an hour nap, depending on if this voracious little bugger will letgo for a little bit :cry:

we went to the pediatrician on Thursday for his jaundice - and he had already gained back most of the weight he lost at the hospital! he was back up to 7lbs - for a breastfed baby - it is VERY good =)

he is still yellowish today - but as long as he is still doing what babies do (eat sleep pee and poop) he is okay =) In fact... usually our first morning changing - either he or I get a golden shower =p hard to vaseline and change a squirmy angry baby AND keep him covered so we dont get wet :cry:

I think I'll keep him... and Kat :cry: