Rel's Guide to Tanking

Relikk

I get asked alot *while* playing how to tank better. So I thought I would write this so I can avoid the questions in game.

You should know the basic mechanics of damage and how to mitigate (decrease) the most damage against you. Best to start here -> http://www.wowwiki.com/Combat_Rating_System This should answer some of your questions.

Your goal is to obtain 490 defense (430 for druids) to be completely crit-free. Your next step is to stack up the stamina and power, parry, and dodge as best you can. Don't bother focusing on crit gear, while it may have alot of stamina and strength built in, it lacks the much needed defense bonus that other gear has. I realize this is all academic, but I still get asked "Is this better? <Link A> or <Link B>". I sometimes stop after getting a new piece and mix and match until I get what I think are the best results.

So here are the cliffnotes:

1) Defense->Stamina->Enhanced stat shield block->enhanced stat dodge->enhanced stat Parry.

2) Why did I put Shield block in? Because that's where we can mitigate big damage from crushing blows

3) If you have two mobs assigned to you - Strategy should go - Pull Mob A with ranged (non DPS target), Shield Bash and Sunder, switch to mob B, Taunt if he tries to go by you or sunder (mob A will be giving you rage for it), Shield Block > Sunder > Revenge, Shield Block > Sunder > Revenge, etc etc. A good group will hold off on DPS and then let loose on Mob B for a quick kill. They won't have to worry about mob A too much if Mob B is stunned and dps'd quickly down, as the heals won't be great. The old school sunder 5x in a row is not a good idea.

4) Concussion blow can be used on mob B to minimize damage too you, it means less healing for the healers, which means less chance for mob A to switch from you to your healer.

5) Warriors also have a group heal - it's an instant cast 700ish heal "Commanding Shout". This is going to be buffed to 1200ish in a future patch (well, it's in test so it is likely to go live). So I typically use battle shout to increase group power, then use commanding shout when needed.

6) Also, try and keep demo shout up as much as possible, it makes a big difference.

I am still learning and listening to other warriors who have progressed much farther than I have. Please feel free to comment on your strategy, I am always willing to alter mine to ensure the survivability of a group I am in, and in turn, instill upon those who request my services the confidence that I know my job.

I also have some additional tricks for survival that I use, I will post that in a bit.

Rel

Update: Of course, you should be shield bashing every chance you get. Some warriors suggest you start out with it, as it has the highest rage generation, and refreshing heroic shout and demoralizing shout throughout the fight. Once you get 5 sunders, slowly ease off on button mashing to build up some rage, that way you have some for spell reflect (you should have enemy cast bar enabled) so you can figure out when to use it next. For some reason, I prefer to reflect spells rather than shield slam them away - although there are some mobs that can't be interrupted. I have timed some mobs to a second prior to them casting fear and it works nice.

Hold off using conc blow should a sheep fail for some unlucky mage or a broken CC'd mob who decides to chase your priest-wearing-reinforced-klennex around. It still bothers me that priests wearing cloth were not given a invulnerable bubble but plate wearing paladins got one - where was the logic in that decision?

Some warriors use different strategies, use whichever one works for you. Personally, I have found sunder to be my best agro generating ability.

Personal strategies - I like anything that I can click to increase hitpoints. It was so effective that many patches have nerfed the way we extend our life to limited options. Before you could Healthstone, Whipper-tubber, night dragon, potions etc. Now most of them share a CD. However, you should always find ways to extend your life when necessary. Watch your health as well as others. It's always a good idea to pre-stam yourself as opposed to restoring the hps, as this increases your ceiling cap hps and avoids overhealing. This is the beauty of healing a druid tank, there is a big space between 15k hps and zero.

Don't be afraid to use your last stand. Well, that's all I can think of. There are many options, choose the one that works for you. I know some warriors who swear by pull, taunt, shield block, revenge, sunder 5x. Hey, if that works for you, than fine.

I also think knowledge sharing is important. I seem to get great info and tidbits from the message boards which has made grouping and my tanking experience easier.

Rel

Edited by Relikk

I also think knowledge sharing is important. I seem to get great info and tidbits from the message boards which has made grouping and my tanking experience easier.

Not to mention hours upon hours of tanking conversation with your buddy Orckus..... :devil:

PW protected against druids? LAME.

And yeah, as far as druids go, we don't get a Parry or a Block. But high Agi for dodge/armor/etc benefits is always nice.

Good info though, and I can see correlation between some of ya'lls techniques and some of my own. Although me and my husband both have seperate tanking styles on our druids, but both seem to work.

Bah u no need all dat, just need be strong like dah ogre an hab big basher to clomp tingz wid. BULA bery strong and gud clomper ub tingz.

BULA

Ogre Warlord