Gruul's Lair Content

Amahli

Alrighty, buckaroos. :p This here's the breakdown of how I think this raid should go. A lot of it is taken from Wowwiki, but like everything from there, I like to rephrase and repost. Booya!

Gruul's Lair

Righto. Gruul's Lair is located in the northern part of Blade's Edge Mountains:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/stri...nbladesedge.jpg

You can actually get to Gruul's Lair without any combat whatsoever. If you fly in, you can actually land right on the doorstep, and skip over all of the elite ogres that would hobble those coming across the land. For this reason, it's really just faster to summon those without flight capabilities.

Onto the actual instance. It's basically a level 70 instance, 25 people. (I believe you can get in at a lower level, but it makes it tougher). There are two "encounters". THIS post is going to cover the bosses of the first encounter.

Once you walk into the instance, there are three level 72 elite ogres; a Brute pather (who doesn't aggro if you stand near the instance entrance), then a two-pull involving another Brute and a Priest.

After those three are taken care of, you walk a few steps and come upon the first encounter. This includes High King Maulgar (basically a warrior) and his four cronies: Kiggler the Crazed (shaman), Blindeye the Seer (priest), Olm the Summoner (warlock), Krosh Firehand (mage).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/strill/bosssetupp.jpg

All five of these pull together, and demand the attention of everyone in the raid. EACH member HAS to be doing their part. For instance, if one of the minibosses gets loose, the entire raid can easily wipe.

About the Bosses

High King Maulgar - The MT will be on this guy, and MUST have good gear for it. Maulgar hits hard and whirlwinds upon occasion, so the MT needs to keep him in one spot. The preferred area in which to tank him is directly across from where he stands before the encounter is begun:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/stri...tankmaulgar.jpg

Maulgar will be the last one to be downed, so as long as the MT can hold him, there should be no problem. Once DPS goes to Maulgar, however, all melee DPS can dash in and out to avoid whirlwinds. Wowwiki says about ever 25-35 seconds is when Maulgar Whirlwinds, so it's good to watch out for that. At 30%, Maulgar starts these random charges at other people, and the MT is going to have to work his ass off to keep bringing Maulgar back to the tanking spot.

Kiggler the Crazed - Kiggler's biggest attributes are ranged lightning bolts, Arcane Shocks (these disarm and cause aggro loss), and he periodically casts an undispellable Polymorph on his highest aggro target.

It's suggested that Kiggler is tanked by either two hunters (because one will get polymorphed from time to time), or a moonkin druid (anti-polymorph, go Druids!). Stamina and Nature Resist gear is important for this fight. Kiggler is a ranged DPS target, and pretty much needs to be tanked and kept in the area that he starts in.

Blindeye the Seer - This priesty, as obviously noted by his class designation, casts heals. These are large AoE heals, but they ARE interruptable. However, he sometimes casts a Power Word: Shield on himself before he casts his heal, and DPS has to throw enough damage to knock down the shield so the rogues/shamans/shield bashers can interrupt the heal. Typically tanked by a warrior.

ALL DPS that are not assigned to anything else are on Blindeye, and he is the FIRST to fall. The tank needs to kite him towards the instance entrance:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/stri...nkblindeye2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/stri...nkblindeye1.jpg

Olm the Summoner - A warlock, he casts intense Shadow damage DoTs, and he also Death Coils from time to time. He also summons large Fel Hunters.

A good way to do him seems to be to double tank him. For this, 2 tanks need to be on Olm, and all warlocks in the raid group need to be over near him to control the Fel Hunters. CC here is more important than damage at this time, so warlocks can Enslave the Fel Hunters, then use those to help control the rest/offtank Olm. He will be tanked on the far end of the room:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/stri...etotankolm2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/stri...etotankolm1.jpg

Krosh Firehand - A mage. This guy deals heavy, heavy damage in the form of his Fire Novas, which have a 20 yard range. He also casts greater fireballs which can hit for around 9k damage. Ouchies. Another fancy trick he has is his Magic Ward, which shields him and reduces magical damage taken by 75%.

If Krosh gets loose to cast his Fire Novas on the raid, the raid will wipe. That simple. And there is NO MELEE allowed near Krosh, at any time.

Krosh is tanked by a mage. Fun stuff, huh? Generally, the mage needs to come with high Stam/Int gear (recommended that they aim for about 10k of each mana and health), and optional on FR gear, but it wouldn't hurt to have a bit. Basically, the mage is going to be spell stealing the Magic Ward EACH time it's cast, and the only other thing the mage tank has to worry about it staying out of the 20 yard range when Krosh begins to cast his Fire Nova. To do this, the mage can blink out when Krosh is casting this, as long as he makes sure to stay in the far back corner:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/stri...totankkrosh.jpg

Our Mage Tank begins the fight by standing here, so that he is well within range to get Krosh right off the bat:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/stri...etankstands.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

So, that is the basic breakdown of the bosses of the first encounter! :D The pull, and the fight itself is to be posted later, cause it's late and my typing is already needing to be triple checked for grammatical and spelling errors. Rawr!

Alrighty, here's info on how I think the fight should go..

The Pull

The pull here is one of the tricky things we'll have to overcome. Everyone has to be on top of what they are pulling, and everyone has to be doing their job. I'm going to use acronyms: MT (Main Tank), OT1 (offtank 1), OT2, OT3, MageT (Our mage that will be tanking), HT1 (Hunter tank 1), HT2, DT (druid tank). Of course, for Kiggler there is the option to use HT1 and HT2 OR just the DT.

At the pull, here is a list of what people should be on which boss, and what they should be doing:

• High King Maulgar - MT is the ONLY person on Maulgar at the beginning of the fight. He needs to immediately get Maulgar across the room from where he's standing.
  • Krosh Firehand - MageT is the only one on him at the beginning, and should cast an instant hit to immediately gain aggro, keeping him in the corner near where he is. NO MELEE ALLOWED near Krosh, at any point in the encounter. The MageT needs one dedicated healer.
  • Olm the Summoner - OT1 and OT2 need to get Olm over to the back area of the room, followed by ALL of the warlocks in the raid. Olm will start summoning his Fel Hunters, which the Warlocks need to CC. Our warlocks can enslave them, and use them to offtank the other Hunters, or even put them on the boss. OT1 and OT2 should be kept busy on Olm, and since Olm occasionally Death Coils, that's when they'd trade aggro, keeping him under control. Olm does do heavy Shadow DoTs, so any Shadow Resist gear may help.
  • Kiggler the Crazed - HT1 and HT2 need to immediately get aggro. (If we have a DT instead, this is when the Moonkin will be getting aggro). Again, for this guy, no melee. His arcane shock is vicious. Can pretty much be tanked where he is.
  • Blindeye the Seer - OT3 needs to start pulling Blindeye towards the instance entrance. Rogues and shamans immediately need to interrupt any of the heals that Blindeye casts. Once aggro is established, EVERYONE that isn't on one of the others need to DPS Blindeye down. If Blindeye casts his Power Word: Shield, DPS needs to overcome the shield's barriers as quickly as possible.
  • We'll need one healer with our MageT; One healer for our warlocks and OT1 and OT2; One healer for those on Kiggler; One healer watching the MT; and an offhealer watching those on Blindeye.

The Fight

There are two BIG rules to this encounter, in my opinion:

1.) Do what you're sposed to do!

2.) DON'T go near Krosh. If you get hit with his 20yard AoE, you're too close.

Now then, all DPS (aside from those assigned elsewhere) needs to be on Blindeye the Seer. Rogues and Shamans need to be kicking/shocking/doing whatever they need to to interrupt the heals. Each time Blindeye throws a shield up, DPS needs to be heavily thrown on Blindeye to break the shield down.

Once Blindeye drops, all Melee DPS needs to go over to Olm the Summoner (watch out for Krosh's AoE, and don't step too close to Maulgar's Whirlwind, or Kiggler's Arcane Shock). All Ranged DPS shifts to Krosh, staying out of range of his AoE.

Olm and Krosh should drop near the same time, and then all Ranged DPS moves to Kiggler. Melee DPS gets a quick break, bandaid up and whatnot, and healers that are not busy should be resting up and getting mana back.

Once Kiggler falls, Ranged DPS can rest and get mana/health. Melee DPS should wait for Maulgar to Whirlwind, and then they can jump in and begin DPS. Be aware that every 25-35 seconds, Maulgar will Whirlwind, so Melee DPS will need to jump out. Ranged DPS can start when they regen enough mana.

The healer that's been on the MT can continue, but once they run to about 15-20% mana, we'll need another healer to step up so that healer can regen some mana.

At about 30%, Maulgar begins these random Charges. During this, the MT is going to have a hell of a time keeping aggro. Maulgar is extremely extremely unstable during this, but NOT impossible to tank. Everytime Maulgar charges someone, the MT needs to try to regain aggro and bring him back to the same spot as soon as possible, so he doesn't Whirlwind in the middle of the group.

Pretty much drop him, then get phat lootz :p

Edited by Amahli

Blindeye the Seer - This priesty, as obviously noted by his class designation, casts heals. These are large AoE heals, but they ARE interruptable. However, he sometimes casts a Power Word: Shield on himself before he casts his heal, and DPS has to throw enough damage to knock down the shield so the rogues/shamans/shield bashers can interrupt the heal.

In pvp against priests, kick works through pw: shield just fine. I think this info may be erroneous, unless Blindeye's pw: shield is not the normal kind.

Edited by Rhoach

At about 30%, Maulgar begins these random Charges. During this, the MT is going to have a hell of a time keeping aggro. Maulgar is extremely extremely unstable during this, but NOT impossible to tank. Everytime Maulgar charges someone, the MT needs to try to regain aggro and bring him back to the same spot as soon as possible, so he doesn't Whirlwind in the middle of the group.

Unless his charges are implemented differently than prior bosses, the key thing to retaining aggro during a charge is proximity of the tank to the boss. If he charges outside of a certain distance, the tank will be temporarily demoted from the threat list and he'll work his way down the list until a higher threat is within his range again. Every boss I've encountered pre-BC worked on this principle (Drakk, Bloodlord, Geddon, Shaz, Razorgore, Vael, Kurinaxx, etc), so I doubt Blizzard has varied from those established mechanics.

One way to overcome this is for the rest of the raid to handle this fight similar to how we handled Shaz in MC - if you get aggro, run to the tank IMMEDIATELY while the tank runs towards you. Ideally, you should both meet at a midway point, but far enough from others to avoid a poorly-positioned whirlwind. Another idea would be keeping raid positioning closer to the tank (but outside of whirlwind range) so that the tank will always be in within threat proximity. There are other ways to handle this, but those are probably the most reliable and tactics that we're all familiar with already, so it wouldn't require anything new.

The biggest thing to remember is not to panic if you get targetted.

As for the mage tank...it's extremely situational, but very viable, especially in this case given the nature of what's being tanked here :tease:

Good points Waldonnis,

There is a boss in Arcatraz that does much the same thing. If he goes charging off, then I switch beserk stance, beserker rage, all the while running towards boss into intercept range and switch back to defense.

This way, you close the distance ultra fast, you regain the lost rage quickly from the 10 sec zerker (from when you switched stances) and you gain his attention. It would be nice if it interrupted, but it does not on a boss. But you can get his attention and get him off your clothies - and that's what matters.

Good writeup Amahli, I like the pics. I noticed one of the heads is on his arm, or maybe that's a very big biceps with eyes :tease:

Rel

• 3 weeks later...

By the by, last Wednesday Blizzard did hotfix Gruul himself, making him a bit easier. Since then more guilds have taken him down :yahoo:

We're coming along great in the Maulgar encounter. Got Blindeye down to 1%, and I'm hoping will finish him off and take out Olm or Krosh as well. Most likely the melee DPS will have Olm down first.