Memories of Home

Amahli

Amahli cautiously peeked outside of her tent, looking for anyone that might be wandering around at this time of night. Not seeing anyone, she crept slowly out, holding a letter and some paper in one hand, and a small lantern in the other.

Feeling fairly certain no one was watching, she quickly shifted to her bird form and flew a small distance. Satisfied that she was far enough away from the Skullcrusher camp, she shifted out, walking over to a tree to sit down.

She opened the letter she'd been holding, sent just that day from her father.

It read, "Amahli,

"Been appointed Warmonger, have you? I hope you are doing your clan proud. I know your Ma would be proud of her little girl, if she were here to see it.

"I went ahead and sent along some of those snacks you're so fond of, as well as some coin for buying things in the new towns you're visiting.

"I miss you and I hope you're keeping yourself and your friends safe. Visit soon!

-Daddy."

Amahli smiled a bit. It was so like him to worry. Then again.. maybe she was lucky that he hadn't seen the Outlands. He'd be worrying a lot more.

Setting the letter down beside her, Amahli leaned back against the tree, pulling her knees up to her chest. Sometimes she wished that she could just be home again with him. And with her Ma.

Frowning slightly, she closed her eyes...

The bright sun above shone down on the little village Bloodhoof. Little Tauren ran about, shouting happily and laughing as little Tauren are wont to do, dashing among the huts cheerfully.

In one such hut a little Tauren druid, training barely begun, looked up at her father, asking him with wide-eyes, "But Daddy, how'm ah sposed ta learn ta fight da baddies wivout goin' to a trainer?"

The large bull looked down at his daughter. "Amahli, sweetling, you're still so young. Are you sure you want to be thinking of such training so soon?"

From across the room, a female Tauren laughed softly. It was a rich laugh, and Amahli had heard from others in the village that her mother was one of the prettiest around. "Lokhon, she's got her mother's spirit for adventure, of course!" She grinned mischeviously at little Amahli, who turned a similar grin to her father.

Sighing jokingly, Lokhon held up his hands, "Okay, okay. I see I'm outnumbered here. We'll start you training with a village Elder. Would that make you happ-"

Before he could finish, Amahli had vaulted into her fathers arms, giggling. "Yay! Thankee Daddy, ah'm gonna make ya'll proud!"

Still smiling, her mother said, "We know you will, sweetheart...."

...Startling herself into full conciousness with a sniffle, not even realizing she'd been so tranced by memory, Amahli shook her head. Through watery eyes, Amahli searched for the other pieces of parchment she'd brought with her, as well as a writing stick.

Wiping away a few tears until she was satisfied her eyes had dried, Amahli told herself quietly but firmly, "Snap out of it, Windrunner, it's been long enough." Afterall, her mother had died years ago. And Amahli was hardened for battle, wasn't she? Honestly, to be crying like a little calf!

She began to write back to her father, knowing he'd want a reply as soon as she could manage. Barely having written a Hello, her hand started to shake. She shut her eyes tight, frustrating herself even more so when a tear squeezed itself out.

Years.. Five years to this day her mother had been taken from this world. Giving up all hope of finishing the letter just then, she wrapped her arms around her knees and just sat there, softly crying into the darkness. She hoped somehow her mother knew how much she'd done, and how much her little girl had accomplished.

...And she hoped her Ma was proud.