Encouraging more roleplay

Piper

Okay, people. We have a good ongoing storyline here recently (Kodoz, the curse, etc) and you're missing out if you don't take part in it. We've been told that this plot won't end any time soon, and it's very promising as an ongoing event for us to take part in. The guild really needs everyone to be active as roleplayers. First let me say that last night's event was very well carried out in the technical aspects of gameplay. Very proud to see everyone working together, I assure you. But I have one small criticism: last night before the capture of Kodoz, there was only a very small handful of people who actually participated in-character. It's not all about the fighting; it's about interaction. Please, PLEASE don't be intimidated or feel too nervous to join in. Your actions could impact the storyline, and this isn't a bad thing. That's the point to roleplaying: it's ongoing and anyone can "change the future," so to speak. You all have that chance if you'll allow yourselves to be put in that position. But first you have to join in. Once you do, I really think you'll start to enjoy yourselves more and begin to feel more confident.

Actually, Charlie brought up a neat prospect: giving people short five-minute "skits" to do - scenarios for them to act out, like little acting lessons. Two people would be assigned a little story to follow and they could go from there. I think this would be both helpful and enjoyable for the people involved. Just try to interact with each other, even if only for a few minutes at a time.

Another thing, I highly recommend creating a profile for your character (see the Profile button on your paperdoll in 3D, and the scroll on the bottom right-hand corner of your paperdoll in 2D). This lets others know you roleplay and if they're also RPers, they get an idea of what kind of character they're dealing with (you may even make a new friend if they see you're also into RP). It's a short description that establishes who you are in the game, and personally, I see this as a valuable tool within the UO roleplaying community.

Please don't be shy. Jump in and say something. If you want tips, I'm always willing to help, and I know for a fact that Charlie, Kodoz, and Thorax would be glad to lend a hand as well.

Here's the UO Stratics Introduction to Roleplaying page: http://uo.stratics.com/content/rp101/intro.shtml There are more links about RP at the top of the left sidebar. They may be of some use to those of you who are new to roleplaying, but let me put it this way: remember playing pretend games when you were little? Maybe you took on the role of a mother while playing house. Maybe you were a Power Ranger on a mission. Maybe you held a plastic phone and pretended to talk to someone. Basically, that's RP - pretending, creating a story as you go. If kids can do it, I'm sure everyone in the guild can! :p

Edited by Blair

Guest Charlie

I fully agree with Piper,and I will be setting up the ''skits''.I realise rp isnt everyones favorite thing in uo but unless you truly try it you can never appreciate it. I was never a full rper either,i thought ''i dont type fast enough'' i dont like to talk'' ''it sounds boring''. but then i tried it ,and i liked it. Beingable to make your own story act your own special way makes UO fun when you arerunnng around ''training'' when we arent hunting. You can have the freedom to just walk up to ANYONE in uo and just start making your own history and memories. You can never imagine the different types of characters you run into and what kind of rl friends you can make if you dont just walk up to a random player and try to role play. RPers are very fun to talk to give them a chance to know you.

And remember pgoh is a role play guild,we all agreed to play a role when joining from Charlie to every legionnaire.So try rping and join in,you never know what youll find. :):)

I agree with all what was said, I know it is not always easy writing and acting and getting all the pieces together. our characters don't have a news webpage to be updated with all that's going on... but WE do. So, we can always use this online tavern to roleplay, and to tell of our in-game roleplay. I have already written what my characters are doing, so feel free to roleplay :)

I know that I play strange hours for most, but every one can post 'what my characters are doing' so others may interact.

(A link to my old post: Free fo Roleplay)

Oh, very good idea Charlie, the 'short roleplay' thing. good luck on it :)

:):tease::D:hello::yahoo:

Skits huh? Sounds fun to me. Maybe I will be able to interact a little more once things get back to normal around here. Tyler got to come home from the hospital today so now me and him both have lots of homework to catch up on. Talk to everyone soon~!:)

Calli

PS Charlie makes a great point! When we joined PGOH we did agree to be in a role playing guild which means we are all to roleplay ourselves. Its fun and lets you forget about real life for a while you are in character.

:)