Video card upgrade question

Huato

Hey all...I am looking to upgrade my video card and need to see if I can get any advice here.

Here are my contraints first off:

Has to be under $200, has to be AGP.

Has to be able to play WoW at good framerates at 1280x1024 (Just got a new flat panel).

Any suggestions?

I found this over at New Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102665

Think that would do it? I haven't found a lot of info as far as performance with WoW goes. Every site I've seen uses the standard FPS (first person shooter, not frames per second) for framerates.

Edited by Huato

Get that card, but check out the 512meg version. It's only like $30.00 more. That is the card I am buying once my Tax refund comes in, so it certainly gets my vote. With AA on, it outperforms the 6600GT which for an AGP card is pretty damn respectable.

Edited by morilen

Will the extra 256 make much difference for WoW? This is the last card that I will own that is AGP. I am hoping to move up to a totally new computer (PCI-X) in 12 to 18 months, so this will be it for me. ;)

Not especially. It would allow you to do a couple things, but that card being 128 bit limits the usage. If you want to save a few bucks then get the 256 one, if you want an ever so slightly better card than get the 512. If you are just going to get a new one in the semi near future then hell with it save $30.00 and spend it on our kids. ;) Bachelor's life always skews my view on those things, but I do get there eventually, hehe.

I actually took my own advice and ordered the 256 version today along with a nice Razer Copperhead and the ExactMat & Exact Rest to go with it. Somehow I justified the mouse and pad with the cheaper card... Oh well I am psyched it should be here by Tuesday. ;)

Edited by morilen

Lol

That's funny Greenbull. :D

I replaced an Nvidia card with an Nvidia card, and my mobo chipset is Nvidia. lol

I've had good luck with the company, and the price wasn't too bad so I went with it. :(

Ended up picking up a GeFroce 6600 with 256mb of RAM at Best Buy to replace my old one. So far I love it.

Okay Huato... you've excited my interest...

So you picked that sucker up. How many slots did it take, and what were the power requirements?

Im very interested in upgrading, but I dont think my Dell (I know! Dont say it! ;p) has the power to supply to it, and its difficult to find a new powersource to fit.

Furthermore, once installed, what res are you running at?

Baracko/Huskavarne

Takes just 1 slot, and requires a 350 watt power supply. I have a 450w ps, so I was fine there. :(

The card does require a power connecter from the power supply though.

I'm running WoW at 1280x1024 with everything turned all the way up...that's the highest res my LCD supports, and it's fine with me. :D

Mine's an agp x800 pro 256mb <3. No problems with it and runs wow beautifully. I get about 55 fps normally and 40-45 when moving or in heavy traffic areas. 1gig of ram and 3.0gighz processor w/hyperthreading.

Takes just 1 slot, and requires a 350 watt power supply. I have a 450w ps, so I was fine there. :)

The card does require a power connecter from the power supply though.

I'm running WoW at 1280x1024 with everything turned all the way up...that's the highest res my LCD supports, and it's fine with me. :)

Well, sadly, with this Dell, putting in a new powersource (250w standard) is going to be tough... damn proprietary tech!

We'll see, though

Baracko, the Lootwhore

I have that same card Bracko, its been pretty good to me. I'm saving up for a 7800 though, along with a new Mobo, and Processor to support the PCIx16. But that all depends on if I can not spend the money on a new surround system for my television.

Baracko assuming you have an AGP interface, and your issue is the power supply, pick up the card he was originally looking at. The X1600 Pro. It actually out performs the 6600 in most cases with anti aliasing running. Also, I got mine pretty damn cheap $129.00 from Newegg.com

Edited by morilen

Baracko assuming you have an AGP interface, and your issue is the power supply, pick up the card he was originally looking at. The X1600 Pro. It actually out performs the 6600 in most cases with anti aliasing running. Also, I got mine pretty damn cheap $129.00 from Newegg.com

well, its actually a PCI Interface. Plus, the problem is not buying the card. Its the powersupply... again only 250W in the system, and basic reqs for Huato's card, whether it be PCI or AGP, are 300W. bah!

Bar