MUST HAVE utilities.

Volonazra

Which utilities do you feel you canNOT live without? What makes you think so?

1. Software firewall

2. Antivirus

3. Defragment

4. Spyware protection/detection.

5. CD/DVD burning

6. Media player

7. Browser

8. Mail

9. Graphics

10. Office/word processor/spread sheet

11. others?

- Alliance, Guild and Party talk "in game utilities" :yub:

- ICQ and/or MSN messenger

- In slower macines: lightweight mp3 player, like Winamp, so it doesn't disturb the heavyweight programs (games :nub: ) running. Don't forget to always turn OFF visualizations...

About visualizations:

Only Winamp running with visuals on a Pentium I 133MHz : 15 seconds from mouse press to any reaction....!!! :0

But... Only Winamp running with NO visuals on the same Pentium I 133MHz : works immediately.

I work on a much newer computer but this is just an example...

My $.02?

Hardware firewall, turn off the Windows XP firewall. Saves CPU and memory overhead and is more reliable and less likely to be hacked.

Software wise, the defrag utility in XP is sufficient, so check on that one.

I've found that for web browsing and media, you need Quicktime, Flash, and Shockwave.

Media Player: I alternate between iTunes and Windows Media Player (Free is good for me :) ) depending on what I am viewing or listening too.

For IM, we use Yahoo at work, so Yahoo IM at home.

Of course the MS Office suite, I use Outlook 2003 for my personal email at home, and of course the rest of the suite for attachments, resumes, etc. The Open Office suite looks very good and I have played with it a bit...I believe that it is definitely up to par, but for compatability with work I use MS Office. The plus side of OO is that it is free.

My browser of choice is Firefox, but I still use IE at times for websites that aren't W3C compliant.

CD/DVD Burning: My preference is Nero, but EZ CD-creator from Roxio works just fine (use both at work depending on what I need to do, but Nero at home).

Antivirus: I use Norton Corp Edition...it's worked well for me for years, so I've stuck with it.

Graphics: I have an old copy of PhotoShop that works fine for me, even if I don't know how to use 90% of its features.

That's about all I load other than trying to stay current on BIOS updates and driver updates for my hardware and of course my games. :D