Battle Tactics

Steel DarKnight

Tonight I was asked to post a brief summary of the role of the Shadow riders (archery) and the Arcane cohort(mages) in the HONOR wall. Specifically I was asked how to prevent attacking or hindering ones own units as well.

Magi priorities

1) Heal and cure front wall

2) Heal and cure front wall

3) Heal and cure front wall

Simply enough if the front wall falls, the magi become ineffective and unable to work as a unit. Once the enemy crawls through the line they (Magi) must use evasive action to keep from being brought down. This retreat often leads to confusion and more losses.

4) Resurrect and restore to action any fallen combatants. (Again in keeping the line solid in front of you)

5) Lay down a line of area affect spells and magical combatants (EV, elementals etc, etc....) in front of your line to weaken the enemy. This can be devastating to the enemy and can turn the tide of any battle.

6) Engage with direct attack spells (But always leave enough mana available for a heal or cure for..)Yes you guessed the front line.)

Shadow Riders

The Shadow Rider role is one of an indirect combatant. The following guidelines will assist a Shadowrider in being as effective as possible.

1) Do not engage an enemy first..Let the melee wall bring the enemy (or at least have it attracted to it)to it...then engage.

2) Stay one space behind the front wall, no farther. The reason for this is because you can use your healing ability to bandage the front wall. These extra heals can save the day.

3) Shadow riders are in certain circumstances can be excellent magnets (If the line is large enough to block the advance of the enemy fully) They can weaken a following enemy and can also pull through the HONOR wall...were the enemy cannot follow.

Finally, as to how to not attack your comrades, as a rule, pull your enemies life bar and double click it, not the enemy itself. With some practice this can be done quickly and will prevent you attacking your allies. In the confusion of battle, and the buildup of bodies, it is very easy to target the wrong person.

Strength and Honor

Wonderful information Steel. I appreciate it.

I am guessing the necro's would fit well within the shadowrider ideas.

They aren't much for healing as a general rule, but the wither spell can work wonders. As well as animating the fallen enemy. I'm evil I tell you.

The hard part to remember is that necros, while they can cast spells, cant really heal anybody but themselves. And even that can be tricky in a rough spawn.

...pull your enemies life bar and double click it, not the enemy itself...

Thank you for that! This was something I did not know!

Also, something Winter pounded into my brain and it finally took effect (my head hurts)...DON'T PANIC. One can't heal a MOVING TARGET ;):)

Addition - as asked

The role of the Dread Cohort.

The Necromancer can be of assitance in several ways and adds a new aspect to the HONOR wall. oF course there are varieties of subclasses of the Necro, which I have listed.

Warrior Necro.

1) Front wall (see melee tactics)

2) Go to 3 pure Necro

Mage/Necro

1) See Magi directions above.

Pure Necro

1) A pure Necro can provide the offensive punch that the Magi must reserve for healing. As well as bringing to undeath the fallen enemy to provide extra punch. A Necro without magery should use his ability to cast direct attack spells on the enemy.

Strength and Honor

Now I know my place. thank you Steel. Im so used to solo PvM, ihad no idea you could pull thebars. Now I wont get so upset when I cast vengeful spirit on Prometheus!! (sorry again).

I want to apologize for my ignorance, next hunt I will be primed and ready.

Everybody give Steel a pat on the back, what a great week its been. Its not easy putting hunts together like that, not too mention everyday this week!! He desreve a round of applause!!

As Steel said. Whenever the Line of HONOR can block an entire passage, as we did at the start last night, a Shadowrider is the perfect puller. It was great last night, especially with those horrible Silver Serpents. Once they hit they hit the line, they still tried getting to me behind it until they were at 1/2 to 2/3 life, so the first few strikes on them were freebies ;) The front lines take the brunt of the attack day in - day out, so we archers should take the heat off them when at all possible.

All in all I think everyone did a fine job last night. I know when people were felled they came to the back to be raised up again, which is perfect because I dont fail much with bandies and it saves our mages a ton of mana.

Well done everyone! Lets keep it up and there will be NOTHING that can withstand the force of the Empire (Star Wars reference unintended heh).

Here's a thought...not that I didn't appreciate Steel organizing all these great hunts! But wouldn't it be nice if we all pitched in in planning events? Our poor leaders will soon be overwhelmed, especially since event planning isn't all that is on their plates. Mayhap we can assign week long timeslots to individual cohorts and they can get together and layout a week worth of events? Anything from events every day, to a large event once during the week. That way we can pool the ideas better and keep things fresh (I know I have some great ideas for a tournament I'd like to set up). Just an idea.

*Cheblis*

An event that is fun for everyone, keeps tactics sharp, and gets members to meet other members is as simple as putting out pigeons saying "Whos up for some dragon thrashing? Meet at Olympus" ;) I for one dont do that often enough, but will try to start.