PvP

Elathiel

Same as Martok. Shadowbane will most likely have too much PvP. EQ not enough. DAoC just the right amount. UO just the right amount with guild wars. SWG, we will see. Horizons, not enough it seems.

Well, for confirmation go to any of the Horizons message boards. Flame #### from people arguing about why there wont be PvP upon release. Further looking into shows there will be 'a' PvP server or something later on, but nothing at all at release.

Just as bad ... Only 3 races, 'maybe' 4 will be ready at release as well.

These guys arent getting a dime from me, period.  :cheeburga:

They are up to six races now, and promising two more before release.  The problome is that they are giving so much customization to paper dolls the it takes an eternity to render all of the 3D art.  Even if this game ships with nothing but what they have done at this very moment, then it is still years ahead of anything out there or to be out there this year.  But of course they will not ship now, it will in all liklyhood be quite a few months, if not longer.  Why?  There is no simple systems in this game.  Example:  UO Housing VS Horizons Housing.  

UO-  D-Click deed and click on apropreate space.  Tada!  Your a home owner.  

Horizons-  Step One:  Gain premission from the proper authorities to become a homeowner by compleating some class based quest.  Step Two:  Gather or Purchase the apropreate materials (Stone, Wood, Morter, Glass, ect)  And bring those, the Deed, and a group of NPC's/PC's with the apropreate trade skill to your plot.  Of course before you can do this you but decide weither you want to live in civilized lands (Total security, minimal incentive) or the fronteir.  (Very Dangerous, Mad incentive.)  Step three:  Hurry up and wait.  Rome was not build in a day, and with the exception of online realestate, neither are houses.  Of course the job is done faster if you hire PC's in stead of NPC's,  but that can be expensive.  Viola!  Your a homeowner.  Of course you also must decide if you want to strike it on your own, join a community,  or found a community.  All of which have there benefits, and there drawbacks.  If you live in a community you really do depend on the others around you, its not just an abstract concept.

Ok, I beleive I have made my point.  Well Charicter renderings are the same way, from tat's, to body weight, to horn style, to the shade of your dragons underbelly or wing type.  The Depth here is amazing, but people are begining to rush them and they are having to cut corners.  Yes, there was at conception around 20 races, and the game was slated for 2004.  But now there is a huge press from players (accountants too Im sure, they have one of the largest programing staff's of any game ever) to just get done, and sacrafices are to be made.  It looks like we are getting the basic Tolken races, plus Feinds and dragons at the get go.  Angels,  Deamons, Giants,  and a dozen or so really fun origional races will be added later.  Welp,  at the point I am ranting, so I will Draw it to a close.  To answer the question, No, there will not initially be a pvp server.  One will be added within the first six months.  And lets be honest, it takes about that long to get at least decent at one of these games anyways, if there was pvp you would just be getting rocked by the leat roxxor beta tester the already knows all the tricks for the first six months anyway.  El Fin...

I will play it.  Take note....no PvP at realease that doesnt mean ever.  Id rather see em get it right than rush it.  For that matter Id rather not see a game at all then have them rush it and then have me waste my money on empty promises and bug ridden code.

This ones gonna be a good game.  Just need to be patient.  And from what I hear shadowbane is far from being all that.  Kinda a bummer to be honest.  But ah well now I can save my money.

It sounds like a cool game. But they need some kind of PVP in it. Perhaps Community vs Community or something along the lines we have for guilds in UO Trammel. It sounds like it would be an awesome PvM roleplaying game. I am sure a handful of new languages will be created by people for the new races.

As long as they continue saying they will add PvP within the 1st few months, i will be there. Triston made some good arguments on that note that have changed my mind. Overall, the game is shaping up to be very solid if they stick to their guns  :D

Well Im glad I convinced a few   :p   Another nice thing about games that have pvp and non-pvp servers is that you can design your charicters on different servers different ways.  PVP templates and PVM templetes are very different, and when one switches to there "un-prefered" style of play for a night or so, they suffer for it.  This way you can have your ranger with awesome fletching (A skill no pvp junkie would have) on your rp shard, then when you need to get your pvp rocks off you just jump over to another server wreck shop.  Or get shop wrecked upon yourself, in which case you can go back to rp land and enjoy yourself once again in a peaceful setting.  You see?  This style aint all TOO bad   :alcoholic:

Archived