Journal Entry: The Hand of Rats Nest, Part 5

NBBN: 16661-02070

Thuresdai Apru 11, Sprengh 504 P.C. Midnight New Moon.

Drocis didn't show at the appointed time. Odd. But it has been six months.. In any case, it gives me some time to go over my story. I talked to the local delivery service and sent a missive to Drocis saying I would be at the Inn the next day (one earth hour).

…..

It was nearing midnight. I had donned my elven archer armor and bow, leaving behind my robes. I didn't feel it was necessary for Drocis to know my interest in death magic and other schools at this time.

The chilly sea breeze was making it a bit nippy out. I pulled my virtue cloak, glowing bright red, in closer as I approached the Inn. It had the usual hustle and bustle of the local commoners but seemed more packed this night. I had to push my way into the noisy Inn, there seemed to be a lot of commotion near the center. As I approached, I noticed what all the fuss was about, a chicken fight. The commoners were betting on which rooster would win.

I thought that was outlawed in Kingsport? At least they would be too busy watching the cockfight than looking in my direction. I went to a darkened corner and waited.

Drocis Fondorlatos arrived just before midnight, "Greetings".

"Greetings Drocis", I replied.

"Any friends with you this evening?", Drocis asked.

"My associate could not make it...", I said grinning, " He is admiring the portrait above the mantle in your keep. It has quite the likeness to you." That was the beginning of my lie. Drocis seemed the type to have a portrait of himself.

Drocis appeared calm, but I believe there was some surprise behind the mask, "You have proof of that?"

"Unfortunately the camera fell out when scaling the outer walls. So no evidence.", I said apologetically.

Drocis, straight-faced, said "That is unfortunate"

I nodded, "Indeed. Quite the place you have… Expansive…"

Drocis interrupted, "Especially since I moved the portrait. Which side of keep was it on? The North, South, East, or West?"

I wasn't expecting that... From what I can recall of his keep, the largest tower was on the West, he'd likely have it there. I think. One in four chance…

I replied, in a clam tone, "West".

"But there is no proof you say?", Drocis asked with no indication that I had answered incorrectly.

"None, those walls tripped us up with the spikes."

Drocis frowned, "I specifically asked for proof. Did I not?"

"My... rucksack got caught on one of the spikes", I replied, also frowning, fabricating my failure.

"Yes, that's what they're called…", Drocis said, "rucksack spikes…"

Is that what they are called? I chuckled.

Drocis continued, "Then tell me, how did you get in? The wall?"

"With great difficulty, we tried a number of tactics", I said, trying to be vague.

Drocis, still falling for my story apparently, asked, "What finally worked?"

"Grappling hook and scaling the nearby row house", I replied matter-of-factly, as there was indeed a four-story stone row house near his keep.

Drocis nodded, "ah, and then a jump across?"

"Aye! That's it", I said, "exactly".

"And when you finished your jump, there was a courtyard there, what was in it?", Drocis asked, smiling.

He just does not give up in his questioning! Ugh. There could be anything inside… I couldn't see past the keep gates, the courtyard was obscured by a wall. Considering he is a necromancer and his towers are of obsidian make… it's unlikely to be a greenhouse. A well perhaps. What about a crypt?

"A crypt..", I said, with a bit more tentativeness than I intended. Damn.

Drocis was looking over at Chicken Fight and smiled, "That chicken over there is entertaining".

Why is he talking about a chicken? Is he implying something?

He turned back to me, still smiling, and continued, "You were saying, a crypt?"

"Aye, a crypt, right in the middle."

"What exactly did it look like? Was it a single crypt in the middle?", Drocis asked, leaning in.

I guess there is a crypt, he certainly keeps going on about one, "Yes..", I said.

"And from this crypted courtyard, how then did you enter the keep? The doors are protected with strong magic that prevents entry."

Considering Drocis, likely death magic, the same he used on Schneider and I when we last encountered him protecting his home, as he so-called-it. More likely an excuse to kill us.

"DragonFang found that out the hard way… Once the magic was exhausted on him, and his ghost eventually found his way back to the realm of life, we managed to pick the lock. I have quite the set of lock picks. Made them myself from iron bands", I lied, patting the pouch on my belt.

"How impressive.", Drocis said, rolling his eyes, and stood, "One moment, I need to get some air."

I watched as the necromancer left through the back door of the Inn. As I sat there waiting, watching the chicken fight, I heard laughter from the back door. Did Drocis just laugh?

Drocis walked back in at that moment, seeing me already looking in his direction, he said: "I'm sorry, the chicken."

"Balandar, I thank you for your service. You have earned everything I am inclined to give you as payment.", Drocis said.

What? Seriously, he bought that? I grinned, "Thank you Drocis…"

Drocis interrupted, "Of course that is nothing...for you obviously have not stepped foot inside my keep.", Drocis said stone-faced.

Crap.

"But the story you told was amazing.", he continued, "Thank you."

I sighed. He was toying with me. Just like at his keep when he battled Schneider and I. I figured it wouldn't pan out anyway, I shrugged and came clean, "Your keep is impenetrable. We could not find a way in… searched every inch of the outer wall…", I continued on for some length with everything we tried.

"Did you try forms of magic?", Drocis asked.

"Aye, what's at my disposal. Blink would not get me past the outer wall..", I said, leaving the part out about how far my magic had progressed since we last met.

"And my hand? DragonFang did not show to deliver my hand.", Drocis said, reminding me an agreement we had made on our previous encounter. I had forgotten. Drocis continued, "I'm most disappointed in that."

He'll probably add it to his collection, next to mine…

"Aye, he had other matters to attend. Unexpected company and all. I have a question... Was the portrait in the west?"

Drocis thought on it for a moment, "Yes, I believe it is."

I smirked, "Well, one in four chance."

"You should play the Novian lottery."

I laughed, "I have tried that gamble many times. Seems my luck doesn't hold out in the lottery."

Drocis nodded, "I stopped after the first time. It's rigged, I know it."

"So... is there a way into your keep?", thinking maybe this entire contract was nothing more than Drocis wanting to have some fun and collect additional hands for his gruesome display.

Drocis shrugged, "I hope not. I do not enjoy visitors. If you ever find a way in, let me know. I'll make it worth your trouble. Did you get help from any of your other....associates? Anthil, the doctor?"

Anthil? Is that someone I should know? "That name doesn't ring a bell. Who is this Anthil?", I asked studying Drocis's face.

"I'll take that as a no.", Drocis said as if he was passing judgment on me with his thumb pointing downwards. "I must be going."

"Very well, until next time Drocis..."

Edited by Balandar