Journal Entry: The Hand of Rats Nest, Part 4

NBBN: 16661-02060

Over the course of the next six months, I delved deeper into magic. The encounter with Drocis fueled that urge, that desire, the addiction to learn everything I could.

I was hooked... like one of Budner's exotic dancers close to overdosing on nightshade. But I was taking on too much at once, having not mastered any one school. It didn't matter, I felt the power, just on the outskirts of what could be achieved. I had to know more, but there was still the issue of breaking into that keep.

Schneider and I attempted several more times during those six months. Watching carefully to make sure Drocis was not in Rats Nest before entering. We failed time and again.

One of the new spells I had learned was chaotic step. It was a wondrous spell. Allowing the caster to randomly teleport to a nearby location. I don't know what magic protects Drocis's keep, but I was sure this had to be the way in... unfortunately I was unable to step past the walls. No matter the direction or inflection of tone when casting, I could not get in.. Another failure.

The time was fast approaching to meet with Drocis again at Kingsport. What to do? What to tell him? How can I get that reward if his keep in impenetrable?

Edited by Balandar