Journal Entry: The Hand of Rats Nest, Part 2

NBBN: 16661-02030

Wodnesdai Octobre 10, Harvest 503 P.C. Midnight… Almost.

It was approaching midnight when I arrived at The Hearth of Britannia in Kingsport. Drocis had not yet arrived. There were a number of commoners in the tavern.  Almost immediately upon entering some tavern patron annoyingly tried to press me into buying him a beer and be friends. Ugh. I pushed him aside and moved to the corner of the tavern. It was brightly lit with a candle on the table and lantern hanging nearby. I quickly blew out the candle and lantern, preferring the darkness and seclusion for the meeting.

Schneider DragonFang arrived soon after, nodded at me, and stealthed in the corner. He knew the plan.

Drocis entered the tavern, dressed in black robes, wearing what appeared to be a grim reaper mask, "Good, you're here early." He glanced at the corner where Schneider was standing, and started casting a spell.

Crap, how does he know Schneider is there, my mind raced….

"Baron", I said... "I brought an associate along.."

"Mr. DragonFang, I can't unstealth you, but I see you.", said Drocis.

"Well, Mr Drocis, Nice to see you", said Schnedier as he unstealthed.

"Yes", said Drocis while turning towards me. "I'm glad you brought a friend. I was hoping to hire your entire crew for a job. I'm looking for a team that can perform a security assessment."

Whew. No killing stroke from Drocis. But I had a feeling where this was going.., "And what exactly are we breaking into?"

"My home."

I winced, "I have memories of your tower..."

"I've made a number of improvements since you were there last. Improvements that have been... untested.", said Drocis... "and this time I'm inviting you and whomever you need to help. And I'm offering payment"

Gold, I thought, I like gold... "Excellent", I grinned.

"Payment is based on how far you can get in... over the perimeter wall is a bronze crown, inside the keep is gold, and there is a Portrait inside the keep, if you can locate it, that is worth 10 gold crowns."

"Keep?", I inquired, remembering my last trip being a singular tower, "Is your tower no longer the objective?"

"You would really have to see it to understand. It's considerably, larger. In order to collect your payment, however, I require two things. One, proof of your accomplishments. Two, it must be completed by Wodnesdai Apru 10, Sprengh 504 P.C. (one earth week). I do not have to know when."

"This sounds like a worthy challenge.", noted Schneider. Indeed, I thought, but with Drocis...

"Oh yes, and by proof I will also have to know how you did it. That's key, that's the point of the assessment", said Drocis.

Remembering the black and white pinhole device in my rucksack, "I have a camera with me to take still pictures"

"You have a camera? That would be ideal.", said Drocis.

Schneider DragonFang replied, "Yes, still pictures, and we can dictate our exploits on paper." I nodded.

"So that I'm clear, I'm offering a bronze crown for each distinct way over the perimeter walls you find and gold for each distinct way into the keep you find. By distinct I mean if you climb the wall itself, that counts as one. Keep in mind that I'm offering payment per distinct security hole found, but not for each person in the group...you'll need to split the profits. Does that make sense? "

"Aye", I said, trying to process all of that. But old memories brought more questions to mind... "How many residents do you currently have in your town? Will we see… resistance outside of your keep?", I asked, remembering my last time in Rats Nest while rubbing my hand.

Drocis smiled, and stared directly at me, "There is only one resident of consequence and if he sees you....he will kill you. That is why you have six months".

I chuckled, trying to show his threats didn't unnerve me. Of course, the resident he speaks of is him.

Schneider laughed and asked, "Is this person on vacation?". Drocis didn't respond. I laughed. Good old  Schneider, helping to break the tension.

"I would also point out that there are people that visit Rats Nest from time to time and they too will kill you if they see you..."

"If they see us", I interrupted.

"Unfortunately I do not have guards to protect the city at this time.", Drocis continued, "Yes, a particular set of skills, Balandar. One last thing. If this works out, I may have more work for you that is more lucrative and more challenging."

A commotion caught our attention as a tavern patron stumbled by, "I'd really like a drink!". Everyone ignored him.

The tavern really was quite busy, I didn't notice that a bard was singing in the background, what was he saying?, "Oh, I love the sea but it does not love me, I love the sea but it moves too much for me..."

I shook my head… I shouldn't blame them, perhaps it's my own failures of falling to the drink to bury my troubled past. Back to the matter at hand. I gave Drocis's proposal some thought, considering what the Necromancer was asking, and nodded. "You have yourself a deal Drocis."

Drocis nodded and stood up, bowed to me and Schneider. I watched as Schneider performed a royal salute to Drocis.

Ugh, I never know how to end these so called formal meetings, so I just saluted as well.

"Then let us meet back here in six months. Same time. Good luck, gentleman. No watchers, no spies, no riddles, no lies.", said Drocis.

"See you then...", I said watching Drocis leave the tavern.

"Well, Fang..."

…..

To be continued.