Journal Entry: The Taste of Magic

NBBN: 16661-02010

I had a very troubled past. I witnessed death at a very early age. It led me to a life that was less than honorable, thieving for instance. During those years I acquired quite the ability to sneak and steal. I also preferred, and still do, to distance myself from my victims, being human or otherwise. In my early teenage years, I picked up archery, to hunt for food, to kill, and became very accomplished with the bow.

But there was always something missing, something on the fringes that I felt. It was in my blood. I didn't know at the time what this almost irresistible urge was...

….

A lich was menacing a local village causing havoc amongst its citizens. I was part of the crew hired to destroy the creature. I won't go into the details of that battle, but in the ruins where the lich resided, I found a book… and kept it secret from my crew. However, there was an issue. I couldn't read the contents. I knew it was a book on magic, but what spells it contained, I knew not. I had an overwhelming desire to find the answers, almost as if the book was calling to me.

It took months of studying, researching at public libraries, and some not so public. It was a book on air magic. And oh, the possibilities!, especially when combined with my archery skills! It was a rush, an addiction, the moment I cast my first gust spell. The exhilaration when casting and combining with my archery was... I honestly have no words to describe it... simply... amazing. I was hooked.

I spent years practicing the art with archery. Combining air magic with archery skills. I eventually started learning other schools of magic. Life magic to purge me of sickness and heal wounds. Water to slow my enemies and summon an elemental to accompany me.

It was quite the life and very lucrative. But something was still missing, deep down, boiling under the surface, just waiting to be released. It's something I wouldn't discover until later in life.

……

To be continued.

Edited by Balandar
NBBN