SWTOR going F2P this fall

Kailand

This is not free to play. Free to play would not give you limited pvp options or keep you out of operations. Terrible EA, terrible. There is a reason SWTOR is off my hard drive. They should check out Guild Wars 2 free to play model.

Well I have a feeling this was something EA was pushing to harvest as much profit as they can from the current "player" base and the pushback with limited access was Biowares response. They came to a compromise and this is what we're left with.

The thing is though, being this is EA in charge here I'm curious how long it'll take till it's "pay to win".

For that matter, look at the Turbine model... grind for "favor" in DDO or LotR and you can unlock everything, albeit slowly. Pay $15/mo and you get (almost, as of very recent expansions) everyting.

Well, they are basically letting you get a single player experience for free, multiplayer you have to pay to play. Which makes sense, since the game is basically a single player game while leveling, with an MMO end game.

Well, they are basically letting you get a single player experience for free, multiplayer you have to pay to play. Which makes sense, since the game is basically a single player game while leveling, with an MMO end game.

I had a big post typed up on how wrong you are, Kailand....but I know you too well. You will argue your point to the ends of the earth no matter how wrong you are! Its ok. We all know EA is terrible and they really crapped all over this game. It still makes me angry....VERY angry.... This could have been the greatest online game!

I doubt I'll look at another MMO for quite some time.

I'm in that boat currently... I've logged into an MMO twice in the past 3 months, and that was DDO. Once to see if any friends were still playing (which they were), and the second time just to check out the druid class. I'm still on the fence about GW2 and whether or not I'll delve into it. Other than that I've been... *shockingly* socializing or playing some good old RPGs like Icewind Dale.

The guild wars franchise as it now is doesn't appeal to me but the financials of it are intriguing. Some coworkers have expressed a dabbling interest in the game, so if they get on the bandwagon I'll direct them here.

I'm tired of being a doomsayer but I have to say at the moment this article (http://www.swtor-lif...-analysis/7054/) sums up many of my feelings about what's going on right now.

You're not being a doomsayer. Its not yours or anyone else's fault but Bioware and EA for what happened. As we discussed so many times in the past the fans and subscribers were SCREAMING what to change. Instead of listening, they mocked us. Now they are all going to be unemployed. So sad.