Changed my UI

Waldonnis

I figured that I'd bite the bullet and finally switch my UI drastically. *waves goodbye to the default plus a zillion add-ons*

I still haven't done any customisation yet at all...this is the default mage layout as packaged. The UI is still in closed beta, but if folks are interested, I'll let you know when it's released.

Oh, and yes, the 3D models can be rotated freely. It also has a HUD, which I'll post another shot or two of. In all, during ZG, the entire thing was 54MB in memory and smooth as glass.

WoWScrnShot_102306_231610.jpg

..and in combat, with the HUD:

WoWScrnShot_102306_202714.jpg

Waldy, you've peaked my interest...

Ive been searching the net today, though, and I cant seem to find many of these. I assume that shaman UI's are hard to find... any suggestions?

It's called MazzleUI, compiled (with quite a bit of original coding) by Mazzlefizz (Clicky for the portal). It's been in development for a very long time, but having used it, I can see why. It's much more than a compilation and just feels more "complete" than anything that I've tried before (drop it in, run the configuration thing on each character, and start playing).

To answer Baracko's question, this one does have a shaman layout, but since I don't have a shaman, I have no clue what it is. The layouts basically pre-configure your action bars with your highest rank spells in an order suggested by those who submitted the layouts (also configures some handy keybindings, but remaps some that I'm used to). I'm not too fond of the warlock or hunter one, but the mage and druid ones aren't too bad. The action bars can obviously still be customised so you can fix things the way that you want (which I'll be doing a bit of). The configuration also selects any class-specific add-ons automatically, which is handy...didn't even have to worry about Necrosis being in there for Waldy :0

Only useful shaman mod i really like is totem timer. It adds time remaining on each totem, and lets you recast it from the timer. Found this very useful when i'm leading lets me drop my totems and give warning when they expire (( used to forget to redrop them or overly redroped them in a panic on boss fights)) . Also adds a timer for your weapon buff that you can recast from the screen with.

I'm still looking for useful mage/rogue ui for ghosa and putralia any suggestions?

Currently just using ctmod and the tick.

Man I love that UI, but I have to ask at what cost.

I've been playing the game with less and less UI Mod help as blizzard progressed. My first package was the entire CT-MOD package with the bars and everything. Now I am down to CTRA, CT-Bags, CT-Boss Mod, and I use the Titan Panel to track a bunch of informational stuff (money, honor, ammo, bag space). I have KTM Threat Meter and a Damage Meter (to make sure I am doing my job as well as I can - minimize overhealing on Jero, maximize damage on Sabrianica, take a pounding on Bradius).

I would love to see a complete UI package like what is displayed here, but I am concerned about three issues:

1.) How much of this will be made obsolete in the expansion pack with the planning that Blizzard has that effects macros and UIs to auto-anything (heal, dispel, select, target) anyone in your party/raid?

2.) You mentioned the pet classes as the two you were not too fond of (Warlock/Hunter). Can you elaborate why you were not too fond of them, please?

3.) The biggest frustration I have with the Blizzard UI is the whole key bindings thing. Currently all my bindings are set for playing Jeroabem. Heals, totems, purges, even healthstones and potions are locked in place. This irritates me because I would LOVE to be able to have keybindings for each class I play and eliminate the mouse completely.

What attracts me to this UI that you are espousing is what you said about the UI working with each character class and customizing the UI with the most powerful spells for each class. Couple questions regarding this:

a.) Will it remember the layout I had when I last logged in a character, or will I have to reset the personal changes per class each time I swap (Rogue -> Warrior -> Shaman -> Mage...etc)?

b.) What about the classes with multiple stances (Rogues, Warriors, Druids, Shadow Spec Priests)? Will it have any problems with switching stances between forms?

Basically, if it can make the whole keybinding aggravation go away, if it will still be functional in the expansion pack, and if it simplifies the layout from the oversimplified version I have with the Blizzard UI set, I would be madly in love with this. It seems to have it all on the surface.

Note: Quote parsing seems borked...sorry for the formatting

I've been playing the game with less and less UI Mod help as blizzard progressed. My first package was the entire CT-MOD package with the bars and everything. Now I am down to CTRA, CT-Bags, CT-Boss Mod, and I use the Titan Panel to track a bunch of informational stuff (money, honor, ammo, bag space). I have KTM Threat Meter and a Damage Meter (to make sure I am doing my job as well as I can - minimize overhealing on Jero, maximize damage on Sabrianica, take a pounding on Bradius).

I've been playing with the default Blizzard UI more often than not up until now, since it always served me well enough, but there were things that I just felt like they did wrong from a usability standpoint in lower resolutions (1280x1024 or less). I'm a frequent multitasker, so having access to a ton of info at once is vital to how I play the game. Titan/Fubar only got me so far and having other windows open started to get in the way of being able to navigate or do the more mundane parts of my playtime (farming, mostly, where I like to chat, look at loot lists, etc...all while fighting easy mobs). From that standpoint, I had to do something and decided to roll the dice and change. I'd been playing with DAB/DUF for awhile, but kept going back to the default for instances because it was familiar...but still not totally practical.

As for the meters, there's a big discussion about which damage meter package to include (if any single one is selected). Currently, Recap is folded in and is quite nice...trying it out to see if it provides the info that I would like to see, but others like SW Stats or DM more...time and discussion will tell. From what I've seen, you can still install other add-ons, but they just won't be incorporated into some of the nicer features that this package has to offer (such as the "one place to go for configuring add-ons" window....I always hated slash-commands).

1.) How much of this will be made obsolete in the expansion pack with the planning that Blizzard has that effects macros and UIs to auto-anything (heal, dispel, select, target) anyone in your party/raid?

Nobody knows the answer to this, actually, save those in BC Beta...and even then, it's not concrete. While there is quite a bit of custom code included in this compilation, it's still a compilation and up to the original add-on authors to figure out what functionality can be salvaged with the new changes.

2.) You mentioned the pet classes as the two you were not too fond of (Warlock/Hunter). Can you elaborate why you were not too fond of them, please?

My hesitation wasn't the pet handling, but more the hotkey assignments and layout of spells/abilities in the default class layouts for each. I only took a cursory glance at Kelani's toolbar, but I didn't see wingclip, which is VITAL since I'm working on killing Solenar very soon. All of them are able to be changed, but my criticisms were more with the "out of the box" arrangement than the UI itself.

3.) The biggest frustration I have with the Blizzard UI is the whole key bindings thing. Currently all my bindings are set for playing Jeroabem. Heals, totems, purges, even healthstones and potions are locked in place. This irritates me because I would LOVE to be able to have keybindings for each class I play and eliminate the mouse completely.

This is no longer a problem for me at all. I can't comment on shaman (deleted my 38 shaman to make Kelani), but I have no problems customising keybindings for each player with this or my previous "default + add-ons". This one actually makes it easier since there's an enhanced (read: organised logically) keybinding interface. I don't bind a ton of actions personally, but what I do keep bound are the things I rely on, so this is pretty important to me as well.

a.) Will it remember the layout I had when I last logged in a character, or will I have to reset the personal changes per class each time I swap (Rogue -> Warrior -> Shaman -> Mage...etc)?

It remembers and, if you really want to, you can still save profiles in DAB to ensure that it gets preserved. There's info in the preliminary installation instructions (and in the UI's help screens) about this which will undoubtedly be filled in further for release.

b.) What about the classes with multiple stances (Rogues, Warriors, Druids, Shadow Spec Priests)? Will it have any problems with switching stances between forms?

I was curious about this as well, so I took some extra time on Hoofstomper to test the druid layout. What I found is exactly what I had been working on myself...toolbars that adapt depending on what form I was in and even skills that "greyed out" when I wasn't stealthed. Toba's was the same way...worked much like the default "stealth bar" does and was just as easy (if not moreso) to use. I configured Rodala, but she's only level 20, so not much "warrioring" that I could do testing with, having only two stances and a handful of abilities to work with. I picked Hoofie, though, since druid forms are the most complex to work with from an action bar standpoint...and so far, I'm quite pleased.

Basically, if it can make the whole keybinding aggravation go away, if it will still be functional in the expansion pack, and if it simplifies the layout from the oversimplified version I have with the Blizzard UI set, I would be madly in love with this. It seems to have it all on the surface.

So far, I'm not disappointed. I do have to rebind and rearrange a ton of things for the way that I like to play (it's obvious that the author and many testers are more PvE-focused than PvP), but I found it easy enough to work with out of the box to perform adequately in ZG having swapped my entire UI out an hour before the run. Some things I'm still getting used to and there are many things that I still am trying to find (TONS of clickable hotspots that open up various panes/windows), but my first impression is very positive. I intend on doing my "click every spot and option" testing and start customising things, but I am trying out the defaults first to see if anything in there improves upon my skill arrangement (so far, I've found a few things that I like BETTER than what I had before as far as how my spells were arranged). Once that bit of testing happens, I'll customise the buttons/bindings and see if I can uncover any bugs (I found one last night, but didn't notice how I triggered it...need to reproduce it to report it).

I understand the hesitation...hell, I've half-swapped before to other UI packages and hated it. Having as many 60s as I have, I already have enough on my plate when swapping classes and like having things "feel comfy" is important for me to be effective. Also, with things liked the Nurfed UI, it just required so much time to get things arranged that I just gave up and went back to playing. The biggest "win" with this one for me was being able to have a place to start (i.e. configured bars) and being able to rearrange from there. Also, some of the little things that annoyed me before are handled without me having to learn how yet another mod works (transparent maps, reminders to buff or turn on tracking, etc...all configurable from one window with no slash commands).

I'll keep testing it and keep you all posted on any expected release dates. Having only used it for one night, I'm impressed, but I'd like to get more time with it to try to break it and report any problems so they get fixed. And regarding BC...well, we all know big changes are coming, so we'll just have to wait and see...and hope that Blizzard releases enough info so that any major UI problems can be avoided through planning.

Edited by Waldonnis

I'd be very, very interested to hear how it does over the course of the Molten Core Raid Wednesday night for you where you will have multiple duties to do (Decurse, DPS, Detect) as well as the Friday Night run.

From your description, this UI mod sounds like it would be a perfect fit for me with my multiple personalities (Warrior, Rogue, Shaman, Hunter, Mage, Priest) that I am currently running around in. Thank you for your comprehensive answers to my questions, I appreciate the attention you have given them. I would definitely be interested in testing out this UI Mod when it is released to the public.

Dangit....now that's three things I am looking forward to. Burning Crusade is the first, this would be the second...not telling what the third is.

Waldy, you've peaked my interest...

It's 'piqued my interest,' not peaked. Proper spelling FTW!

Rhoach has many friends in life...the type of friends that would like to meet him one day down a dark alley and smash his face in the dumpster......

Rhoach has many friends in life...the type of friends that would like to meet him one day down a dark alley and smash his face in the dumpster......

--------------------

-SKAH! Why latz alwayz blamin Uglutz? How lat gruk dat it wuz nub dat olog?

...lucky for him he also has friends like martok would couldnt fine his ass if it wasnt attached to his backside, an even then he has trouble seeing it without a mirror.. WTB:TOMTOM!!! Martok whispers: Uhm.. when did california join the eastern united states? I didnt realize its 10000 miles from Penn. to New Jersey.. Is this thing working right (begins to tap odemeter)..

Edited by katakorinthia